Outside Houston, TX; Evacuated Town

Urban exploration outside of the Ozarks area
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

RE: Outside Houston, TX; Evacuated Town

Post by ropingk »

Agent Orange and the added excitment of a littl Napam in the morning it juts didnt get much better than that
the hueys worked great as did the big Gun Ship(puff) now that would be scarry to see that thing flying over you
Sleep is a waste of time,you can sleep when you are dead
Mindscape
The Leprechaun
The Leprechaun

Post by Mindscape »

I'd be a little more worried about a C-130 flying fairly low and slow over the jungle. That likely meant they were going to clear a landing zone for a helicopter...

Ever seen the movie Outbreak, where the C-130 flies over and trashes the little African village with one bomb? That's what's called a Daisy Killer, which was not only a big-ass bomb (think about the size of a bus), but also had defoliants in it, I think. The idea was to instantly turn a section of dense rainforest into a perfectly barren, clear landing zone for a helicopter.

Worked, too.
"I'm going deeper underground.
There's too much panic in this town."
dawgchain
The Pumkin King
The Pumkin King

Post by dawgchain »

Dioxine is a chemical compound that used to be used in treating several different types of lumber, it was combined with another chemical to make it harmless... but recently it was banned from use due to a major spill that caused the temporary evacuation of a small town in Arkansas. It is also believed to be the cause of several defects in wildlife and childeren in a Texas town.

Dioxine was used in Telephone poles and park pavilions for a long time during World War II.

This was something my father showed me a while back ago, typed from memory. He is going through is library to try to locate it.
----------This space for rent----------
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Re: RE: Outside Houston, TX; Evacuated Town

Post by Willard »

dawgchain wrote:Dioxine is a chemical compound that used to be used in treating several different types of lumber, it was combined with another chemical to make it harmless... but recently it was banned from use due to a major spill that caused the temporary evacuation of a small town in Arkansas. It is also believed to be the cause of several defects in wildlife and childeren in a Texas town.

Dioxine was used in Telephone poles and park pavilions for a long time during World War II.

This was something my father showed me a while back ago, typed from memory. He is going through is library to try to locate it.
It would be part of the ingrediants for Creasote then wouldn't it? I still wonder about the old Creasote plant on the north side of the West Frisco Yard...
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
piplnr65656
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Re: RE: Outside Houston, TX; Evacuated Town

Post by piplnr65656 »

ivecomeasiam wrote:Okay, turns out that 12 pages of small print is a lot to type. I didn't finish as I had band practice in the evening. In any case, I'm a fool. This happened in New Jersey, not Texas. Sorry.
Do you know were in jersey? I am in central and north jersey a lot. Most of jersey is a superfund site. We do a lot of work there trying to contain the groundwater in sites from traveling. There is a lot of cool stuff in the area to see from old abandend ships ( my favorit) to lots of buildings and rosevelt island were a steam ship on fire ran aground and all the crazys from the asylum asylum broke out and ran down to the waters edge and died in the flames. the name of the ship was the general slocum. and it happend in 1904 and 1021 people died. just driving by the island at night is a little freeky
Kit
The Woman
The Woman

Post by Kit »

Baird and McGuire Superfund Site, Holbrook, Massachusetts
Bayou Bonfouca Superfund Site, Slidell, Louisiana
Bridgeport Refinery and Oil Services Superfund Site, Logan Township, New Jersey
Celanese Corporation Shelby Fiber Operations Superfund Site, Shelby, North Carolina
Coal Creek Superfund Site, Chehalis, Washington
FMC Corporation - Yakima Pit Superfund Site, Yakima, Washington
MOTCO Superfund Site, Texas City, Texas
Old Midland Products Superfund Site, Ola, Arkansas
Petro Processors Superfund Site, Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Basin F Liquids at the Rocky Mountain Arsenal Superfund Site, Commerce City, Colorado
Rose Disposal Pit Superfund Site, Lanesborough, Massachusetts
Rose Township Dump Superfund Site, Holly, Michigan
Sikes Disposal Pits Superfund Site, Crosby, Texas
Times Beach Superfund Site, Times Beach, Missouri
Vertac Chemical Corporation Superfund Site, Jacksonville, Arkansas
Kit wrote:I am old