Lake Powell?

Urban exploration outside of the Ozarks area
GlassCurtain
Cereal Smuggler
Cereal Smuggler

Lake Powell?

Post by GlassCurtain »

A few of my friends and I are planning a summer trip to lake powell for some great exlporing. I was curious if anyone knew much about the four corners and/or lake powell. Any info would be very helpful! Thanks!
piplnr65656
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: Lake Powell?

Post by piplnr65656 »

We used to go to lake powell every october for a week (we used to live out there). What do you want to know? There are lots of things to see and do but it mostly depends on what marina you are going to ( parker, bullfrog ect.). There are lots of old indian ruins to see. Arches national park is close by and depending on how you drive out you might drive by mesa verde.
GlassCurtain
Cereal Smuggler
Cereal Smuggler

Re: RE: Lake Powell?

Post by GlassCurtain »

piplnr65656 wrote:We used to go to lake powell every october for a week (we used to live out there). What do you want to know? There are lots of things to see and do but it mostly depends on what marina you are going to ( parker, bullfrog ect.). There are lots of old indian ruins to see. Arches national park is close by and depending on how you drive out you might drive by mesa verde.
Awesome! Actually that's what I wanted to know. Where would be the best marina to go to? We're looking to do a lot of exploring. I haven't really researched the place because we're more of the type of guys that say "let's just go and take what ever comes."

Are there some cool spots that aren't very well known? We don't want to go where everyone else goes exploring.

Also, is a boat really necessary? We have the choice of taking an RV or taking a boat. Any info whould help! Thanks in advance!
piplnr65656
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by piplnr65656 »

GlassCurtain wrote: Awesome! Actually that's what I wanted to know. Where would be the best marina to go to? We're looking to do a lot of exploring. I haven't really researched the place because we're more of the type of guys that say "let's just go and take what ever comes."

Are there some cool spots that aren't very well known? We don't want to go where everyone else goes exploring.

Also, is a boat really necessary? We have the choice of taking an RV or taking a boat. Any info whould help! Thanks in advance!
Well first off, what do you want to see? lake powell is very long and most things are only accessable by a boat but there are lots off other things to see besides the lake
caver
I Need A Title!
I Need A Title!

Re: Lake Powell?

Post by caver »

You might be interested in Kelsey's book.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/096058 ... e&n=283155
Keep in mind he hikes in an hour what the average person hikes in about 4 hours. His books are kind of quirky and some people criticize him but they can still take you to places that few people visit.
The lake is probably still very low from extended drought. Nice thing about that is some canyons that were flooded are now exposed. Take lots of water on hikes and leave the cell phone at home.
Caving impaired,,,too old, too fat, don't care.
GlassCurtain
Cereal Smuggler
Cereal Smuggler

Post by GlassCurtain »

piplnr65656 wrote:Well first off, what do you want to see? lake powell is very long and most things are only accessable by a boat but there are lots off other things to see besides the lake
We were wanting to check out all he cool crevaces and rock formations. Just go out and explore.
caver wrote:You might be interested in Kelsey's book.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/096058 ... e&n=283155
Keep in mind he hikes in an hour what the average person hikes in about 4 hours. His books are kind of quirky and some people criticize him but they can still take you to places that few people visit.
The lake is probably still very low from extended drought. Nice thing about that is some canyons that were flooded are now exposed. Take lots of water on hikes and leave the cell phone at home.
Thanks for the info. I'm definitely going to have to check it out!!