pryor mountain wild horse preserve

Urban exploration outside of the Ozarks area
piplnr65656
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

pryor mountain wild horse preserve

Post by piplnr65656 »

So one day I got back to the hotel from work and noname had everything packed in the 4runner and she was wanting to go to this wild horse preserve she had read about so I took a shower and we headed off without much of a clue where we were going. We drove around some backroads until we saw a sign and a little two track road heading out across the desert that said pryor mountain wild horse reserve. Then there was a small sign that said "primitive road short wheelbase 4x4 only". That made me smile as I pulled that oh to familer transfer case lever into 4Hi as we took off down a little goat trail that looked like it had not been driven down since the previous fall when the road closed for the winter. What made this trip so cool was that when we turned onto the road in the desert it was 90' and in just a short few hours of off roading we would be stuck in a snow drift. We saw a bear and about 400 feet later we got stuck in the snow and Noname pointed out all the fresh bear tracks and scratch makes on the surrounding trees. Then as if it could not get any worse it started to snow as I loaded my H&K .45 and strapped it to my leg. Then noname started to laugh as I got out to dig us out.
Attachments
Almost to the turn off sign. At the old tractor and sign you would just hang a right and head off into the desert following some old ruts. A few times I had to get out and look around to try and find out where the road went as it had not been used in a lo
Almost to the turn off sign. At the old tractor and sign you would just hang a right and head off into the desert following some old ruts. A few times I had to get out and look around to try and find out where the road went as it had not been used in a lo
Pryora.a.jpg (64.98 KiB) Viewed 5561 times
Pryor.b.jpg
Pryor.b.jpg (90.08 KiB) Viewed 5561 times
Sure enough we found the wild horses. They looked like normal horses but noname did'nt care what I thought and took rolls of pictures of the horses. We were able to drive up pretty close to them without them running off.
Sure enough we found the wild horses. They looked like normal horses but noname did'nt care what I thought and took rolls of pictures of the horses. We were able to drive up pretty close to them without them running off.
Pryor.c.jpg (81.37 KiB) Viewed 5561 times
Finaly in the trees. Most of the trail was very easy and we could fly down it.
Finaly in the trees. Most of the trail was very easy and we could fly down it.
Pryor.d.jpg (88.38 KiB) Viewed 5561 times
climing up onto the mountain
climing up onto the mountain
Pryor.e.jpg (88.12 KiB) Viewed 5561 times
With the snow drifts I would get a run at them and use the speed conquers all theory. But this time the drift was to deep and long  and we were stuck with all 4 wheels just spinning in the snow.
With the snow drifts I would get a run at them and use the speed conquers all theory. But this time the drift was to deep and long and we were stuck with all 4 wheels just spinning in the snow.
pryor.f.jpg (84.27 KiB) Viewed 5561 times
unstuck and getting ready to head back down
unstuck and getting ready to head back down
pryor.g.jpg (92.1 KiB) Viewed 5561 times
Back down into the dessert
Back down into the dessert
pryor.h.jpg (56.43 KiB) Viewed 5561 times
Barracuda
Saucy
Saucy

Re: pryor mountain wild horse preserve

Post by Barracuda »

How pretty! And you dug your wife out of bear infested snow..how romantic. Where's Pryor Mnt?
piplnr65656
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: pryor mountain wild horse preserve

Post by piplnr65656 »

Part 2

We waited 2 weeks and then went back better prepared and with some friends. I was in my old truck and bill had his new dodge dakota and was itchen to see how it would do off road. We blew past where we had gotten stuck before and found 2 cabins and made it to the ice cave (neather of which I can find pictures of). The road would be mostly clear and then there would be a snow drift as tall as the hood of my truck and I would hit it at 40mph and knock it down so bill could get his truck trough it. Finaly when we were almost to the top of the mountain where we could head down the other side we lost the road and while trying to plow threw a giant snow drift next to a cliff we started to bog down in the snow and sliding toward the edge. I gunned it and aimed the truck for some small cedar trees. The truck got high centerd on a rock(?) and the truck spun around and we launched dukes of hazard style threw a big patch of cedars back out to where we had started. We got out and pulled some cedars out that were jammed in the skid plate and in the front axle. We figured it was a good sign that we had gone far enough that day and would have to wait till late summer to try again. So we started the long drive back to town.
Attachments
More horses. This time there were a few babies.
More horses. This time there were a few babies.
pryor9a.jpg (92.16 KiB) Viewed 5551 times
There was a wide spot in the road so we got out and streched are legs.
There was a wide spot in the road so we got out and streched are legs.
pryor10a.jpg (96.93 KiB) Viewed 5551 times
A old corral we found.
A old corral we found.
pryor11a.jpg (95.21 KiB) Viewed 5551 times
Nonames view out the passenger window.
Nonames view out the passenger window.
pryor12a.jpg (72.73 KiB) Viewed 5551 times
Almost to the top
Almost to the top
pryor13a.jpg (69.47 KiB) Viewed 5551 times
Golly gee, who could it be?
Golly gee, who could it be?
pryor14a.jpg (98.72 KiB) Viewed 5551 times
long way down.
long way down.
pryor15a.jpg (95.61 KiB) Viewed 5551 times
piplnr65656
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by piplnr65656 »

Barracuda wrote:How pretty! And you dug your wife out of bear infested snow..how romantic. Where's Pryor Mnt?
It is on the wyoming montana border north east of cody.
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

That's so cool. Makes me want to buy a Jeep.
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

RE: pryor mountain wild horse preserve

Post by Willard »

Reminds me of the several summers my family would go Jeeping in Colorado. Every year my dad would have something else done to his Jeep to make it easier to go on some of the trails.
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude