Mosquito Pass

Urban exploration outside of the Ozarks area
piplnr65656
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Mosquito Pass

Post by piplnr65656 »

This was back in august of 2005. The pass is only open from late july to early september because of snow. Several years ago I got caught in a nasty blizzard while trying to sneek up the pass in mid july. This is the highest open pass in the united states. It's elevation is 13,185 feet. There are lots of sighs at the bottom saying only jeep like vehicles with a short wheelbase. So no problem for my 4-door long bed truck :twisted: . There were several switchback turns were I would have to do a 5-6 point turn to get headed in the correct direction. Twice there was not enough room to make the turn so I would pull up to the edge till the front end started to drop the edge then I would cut the wheel and haul ass up the road in reverse to the next turn. Enjoy the pictures.
Attachments
heading up the big hill.
heading up the big hill.
leadville.jpg (27.51 KiB) Viewed 5558 times
About every 500 feet they would want to jump out and take a picure.
About every 500 feet they would want to jump out and take a picure.
Picture 406a.jpg (77.63 KiB) Viewed 5558 times
Looking down on leadville
Looking down on leadville
Picture 408a.jpg (74.66 KiB) Viewed 5558 times
The women folk
The women folk
Picture 409a.jpg (97.7 KiB) Viewed 5558 times
Headed back down the mountain.
Headed back down the mountain.
Picture 888a.jpg (98.92 KiB) Viewed 5558 times
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Re: Mosquito Pass

Post by White Rabbit »

That looks like a blast.
Hiccup
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by Hiccup »

um...for some reason i really want to ask you, piplnr, how many car accidents have you been in? just looking at your pictures makes me nervous :P
whipping_post
The Corruptor
The Corruptor

RE: Mosquito Pass

Post by whipping_post »

Reminds me of my buddies land actually. Lots of roads that make you a little nervous to be on. Lots of fun when traffic coming the other direction wants to pass!
I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own. I resign.
KansasCity
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

Post by KansasCity »

How did you women folk to go? My mom freaked out when I went down a regular dirt road. I went up a bank and she thought we were going to roll.
I knew a transsexual guy whose only ambition is to eat, drink, and be Mary.

Aka Gringo Loco on KcUrbex.org and UER
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

People are funny. I dated a girl in college and took her to my grandparents house, and she had an anxiety attack because the roads didn't have lines on them.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
piplnr65656
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by piplnr65656 »

Hiccup wrote:um...for some reason i really want to ask you, piplnr, how many car accidents have you been in? just looking at your pictures makes me nervous :P

Only one that was my own doing and it was 2 weeks before my 16 birthday :D . I have been rearended like 4-5 times. I have been in a lot of accident that were eather on purpose or I was just a passenger. Before you ask about the on purpose ones it was because in mexico the company would not let us take are vehicals. You do not want to take a nice vehical to mexico because the locals will get in an accident with you on purpose because they know you have insurance and they can get some money out of it. They got us all these old beaters for us to drive and when one was too fucked up we would wreck it and go pick out another one. If you are in a beater you will drive it like a beater. You would not belive how much damage a voltswagen bug and a toyota truck will take. I broke the wheel off of the axle so I just welded it back on :D . We had one nice new company truck down there and this guy got mad and plowed it into the counterweight of the crane to fuck up the cab. We then took a tourch to the cab and made it a convertible. We were running around in mexico in a new 4 door truck with no doors an no roof.
piplnr65656
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by piplnr65656 »

KansasCity wrote:How did you women folk to go? My mom freaked out when I went down a regular dirt road. I went up a bank and she thought we were going to roll.
They are both used to it. The one on the left grew up out there and is not scared of anything. noname used to be scared but I took care of that long ago. I took here down lands end road years ago and now she is not scared of anything. A few years ago noname jessgcmo and I were in colorado and I went down lands end road and about 800 feet down the road jessgcmo freeked and was screaming to stop. I stopped and he jumped out of the 4runner and said he was not going down the mountain on that road. So i started to reverse up the road and he would not get back into the car until we were back to the top and going the "safe" way down. Aperently hauling ass and sliding around the corners on a one lane washboarded goat trail with a 3,000 Ft cliff on one side is a bad thing. That road make the one in the picture look like a interstate highway.