Abandoned Japanese Island - Gunkanjima

Urban exploration outside of the Ozarks area
ann_marie
Explore Whore
Explore Whore

Abandoned Japanese Island - Gunkanjima

Post by ann_marie »

I just found out about this and I thought I would share with the group.

Gunkanjima, the "Battleship Island", lies in front of the coast of Japan, near Nagasaki. It is about 480m long and 160m wide. There used to be a coal mine on the island, and the island was filled up with the mine, with the houses for the workers, the offices, the school and the hospital. But the coal finished, and the mine was closed down in 1974. Since then nobody was allowed to go to the island for security reasons.
Baba San, the fisherman, took us to the island in January 2002. We met him at the harbour, in the early morning, and we left with his boat while it was still dark. Baba San dropped us at Gunkanjima before sunrise, and he picked us up again in the afternoon.
For further information visit www.gunkanjima.com.

Edit - I forgot to add this link, it has some pictures http://www.christophklemmt.com/Travel/G ... aMain.html
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

RE: Abandoned Japanese Island - Gunkanjima

Post by White Rabbit »

Yeah, I've heard of that place, too. The guys over at UER have a major hardon for Gunkanjima. :P
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

Wow this is perttty wild I understand that 1974 was 30 years ago and that time is verry unkind but are the buildings in disrepair beacuse of time and the location to the water?? The pictures look like the people just walked out and left everything, You said that it was off limits for security reasons---so is there security to keep people out???
Sleep is a waste of time,you can sleep when you are dead
ann_marie
Explore Whore
Explore Whore

Post by ann_marie »

I would think so. The www.gunkanjima.com website in english is really fudged up. I am doing more research on it, but finding an english website that isn't in enGRish is difficult.
Sparkle
Stray Cat
Stray Cat

Post by Sparkle »

Might try searching "Hashima Island: which I believe was the former name of it or "Warship Island" which is what Gunkanjima means.
-=Let them hate, as long as they also fear=-
tyler
Precocious Little Scamp
Precocious Little Scamp

Post by tyler »

I really loved this post. Thanks a lot for this.