Black beauty coal mine

Urban exploration outside of the Ozarks area
piplnr65656
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Black beauty coal mine

Post by piplnr65656 »

We were passing by it on are way today and junior had never seen a big dragline so we drove right on in took some pics, saw a big blast and then made a run for it. :D
Attachments
Picture 129a.jpg
Picture 129a.jpg (98.93 KiB) Viewed 7287 times
Picture 127a.jpg
Picture 127a.jpg (93.48 KiB) Viewed 7287 times
mjames
Prodigal Son Returns
Prodigal Son Returns

RE: Black beauty coal mine

Post by mjames »

Wow, that's a freakin big mover right there. Oh and by the by
saw a big blast
how close were you to the blast?
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

grr... Strip mining is something I have disagreements with... grr...

Cool machinery though.
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
piplnr65656
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Re: RE: Black beauty coal mine

Post by piplnr65656 »

Willard wrote:grr... Strip mining is something I have disagreements with... grr...

Cool machinery though.
and what may I ask is wrong with strip mining?
piplnr65656
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by piplnr65656 »

mjames wrote:Wow, that's a freakin big mover right there. Oh and by the by
saw a big blast
how close were you to the blast?
Maby 2,000 feet at the most. It was a good size blast but not as big as the ones we got away with in wyoming.
caver
I Need A Title!
I Need A Title!

Post by caver »

This one is in Kansas probably about 90 miles from Springfield. It's a state park now. That blue spot near the bucket is my Dad.
Caving impaired,,,too old, too fat, don't care.
piplnr65656
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by piplnr65656 »

yes That is a B&E 1850. There is a B&E 1950 working near pittsburg. We have snuck in there a few times at night and watched it work.
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

piplnr65656 wrote:
Willard wrote:grr... Strip mining is something I have disagreements with... grr...

Cool machinery though.
It distroys the landscape and they never cover it back up. Even if they do the land is permenatly destroyed... there's other types of earth moving that bothers me too so it's not just strip mining that bothers me.

piplnr65656
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by piplnr65656 »

Willard wrote:
piplnr65656 wrote:

Cool machinery though.
It distroys the landscape and they never cover it back up. Even if they do the land is permenatly destroyed... there's other types of earth moving that bothers me too so it's not just strip mining that bothers me.
Before the reclamation laws of the early 70's the land was retty much fucked but nowadays it is hard to tell where they have mined just 5 years ago. The land is returned to the same topography as before and in most cases is normaly more productive for farmers. The mine in the picture for example only mines areas that have already been cleared of trees by farmers. The top soil is moved first by truck/shovel method and stockpiled then the overburden is removed. Then eveything gose back nicely. Mines are only alowed to mine at the rate that there reclamation is proceding. Areas like web city MO are discusting because no conservation or reclamation was done but just 30 miles west of there in south east kansas you can not tell that at one time that was home to the biggest stripmininig operations in the world.
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

piplnr65656 wrote: Before the reclamation laws of the early 70's the land was retty much fucked but nowadays it is hard to tell where they have mined just 5 years ago. The land is returned to the same topography as before and in most cases is normaly more productive for farmers. The mine in the picture for example only mines areas that have already been cleared of trees by farmers. The top soil is moved first by truck/shovel method and stockpiled then the overburden is removed. Then eveything gose back nicely. Mines are only alowed to mine at the rate that there reclamation is proceding. Areas like web city MO are discusting because no conservation or reclamation was done but just 30 miles west of there in south east kansas you can not tell that at one time that was home to the biggest stripmininig operations in the world.
Oh ok, well I guess I didn't know about the environmental laws for strip mining... though with Bush in office I bet those have been doen away with as well.

Theolotus
A Bowl Of Sugar
A Bowl Of Sugar
Location: Three lights down is another gas station, ask THEM.

Post by Theolotus »

I've lived in a town that used to be a mine town back in the 50's and 60's. It got shut down because of tightend regulations about coal with sulfur content. Most of the old mines are currently covered by homes, back yards, etc.

piplnr is right. Most places you can't tell where a mine used to be.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh."-Lazarus Long