Ash Peak Mine (Lots of Photos)

Urban exploration outside of the Ozarks area
Headframe Hunters
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Ash Peak Mine (Lots of Photos)

Post by Headframe Hunters »

It's been...way too long since I've done any kind of feature post. Today, I'll take y'all to the Ash Peak Mine in eastern Arizona. This is a silver mine; a pair of parallel silver-bearing quartz veins were mined and the ore shipped directly to various smelters after being crushed to size specification. Accordingly, there isn't much in the way of processing equipment left on site. The Ash Peak was worked on and off from the 1890s to 1993, and is receiving renewed interest. I wouldn't be entirely surprised if it's being operated again in a couple years.

This post is a composite of a few different visits. I'm still not done with the Ash Peak, but additional visits will likely require technical rope work.

We start out at the Shamrock Shaft. This 975-foot shaft was the primary means for bringing ore to the surface. Its headframe was built in the early 1980s, at which time the shaft was rehabilitated down to at least the 600 level.

An excessively large double-drum hoist was installed. Each drum on a hoist is used for a separate shaft compartment, but the Shamrock only has a single hoisting compartment so the additional drum was redundant.

The Shamrock Shaft is intersected by workings from the No. 2 decline, seen here.

This 15-horsepower Joy Axivane electric ventilation fan is installed over a raise that extends down to the 350 level of the Shamrock workings. The door visible beyond opens into the 100 level of the Shamrock.

Here's the manway extending down from the Shamrock 100 level station. Landings with hinged steel covers are located about every 20 feet. I'd like to descend this shaft, but really want a descender and harness to do it right.

This giant air receiver tank is located near the shaft station, down a short crosscut. It served to even out the demand on the compressor, reducing stops and starts and increasing the compressor's wear life.

Next, we come to the Commerce Shaft. I do not believe this shaft was used for hoisting later than the 1960s; it appears to have served entirely as an escapeway and was rehabilitated for this purpose in the 80s. The Commerce actually connects to the Shamrock via a raise from the Shamrock 600 level.

The Commerce can (eventually) be reached via the No. 4 decline. The No. 4 was driven in the late 70s by Phelps-Dodge miners who relocated to the area as the Bisbee mines closed.

On the way to the Commerce, you pass a number of ore chutes like this. These feed from stopes that were mined above the haulage drift.

Some raises like this are also found. The laddered manway provided miners access into the stopes, while the slide on the left was used to pull heavy pneumatic jackleg and stoper drills up into the stopes. These drills can weight 100lbs or more, good luck climbing a ladder while carrying one!

Eventually, this gnarly rib failure is encountered. It is safely passable, provided you stick to the left side of the drift.

After passing through a heavy steel door, the 200 level station of the Commerce Shaft is reached. The steel contraption on the right is a tool skip, likely used to haul drills, steel, and powder up into the stopes with the aid of an air tugger hoist. There was also a convenient bench, so we stopped for a break before heading topside.

Finally, daylight! I thoroughly enjoy exploring the Ash Peak and often notice new details with each visit. Eventually, we'll get around to some of the lower levels.
In loving memory of Nichole - 12/4/1996 -- 12/1/2017

https://headframehunters.blogspot.com/
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Re: Ash Peak Mine (Lots of Photos)

Post by Nicotti »

I always like your posts. I learn new things about mines and mining.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
Eagle90
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Re: Ash Peak Mine (Lots of Photos)

Post by Eagle90 »

^
What he said. Really enjoy the mine pics and explanation of each one. Guess it didn't used to be called MSM for nothing. :wink:
RaccAttack
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: Ash Peak Mine (Lots of Photos)

Post by RaccAttack »

Always excited to see new posts like this! Thanks for sharing and hope you can get back out there with ropes soon :)