Green Million Extension Mine No. 1

Urban exploration outside of the Ozarks area
Headframe Hunters
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Green Million Extension Mine No. 1

Post by Headframe Hunters »

Continuing from my post on the Green Million Extension Mine No. 2, here's the No. 1 mine. This one is older but quite a bit larger. It has both an adit and a vertical shaft. Unfortunately, safely photographing the vertical shaft wasn't possible, and it was full of trash anyways.

The adit. After a hundred years, it's mostly collapsed.

I was surprised at how well preserved the rails are in this mine!

As much as I hate portrait-orientation photos, they're necessary in this mine. The vein is completely vertical, and the miners followed the vein.

Looking up into a stope. The horizontal support timbers are called stulls. Planks placed between stulls would have served as work platforms while drilling and loading.

Unfortunately, this flooded winze (internal shaft) was not passable. The mine only continues on for around fifty feet more, we're told. The streaking is groundwater pouring in from a collapse; it was essentially raining where this photo was taken.

The aforementioned collapse. There is allegedly a dead cow on that raised area; it fell in from the surface!

Surface layout. The collapsed drift/cut was a glorified trench and didn't photograph particularly well.

Underground layout. I have to imagine that the lower level was extensively stoped. Ore would have been hoisted from the lower level through the vertical shaft.
In loving memory of Nichole - 12/4/1996 -- 12/1/2017

https://headframehunters.blogspot.com/