Derby Underground Mine

Urban exploration outside of the Ozarks area
Headframe Hunters
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Derby Underground Mine

Post by Headframe Hunters »

It's been a long time since I've been underground for anything other than profit! Feels good to be back in the minex saddle!

My fiancee and I drove out to southern Indiana today. We took a look at the Derby Underground Mine, an underground (surprise) limestone mine operated by Mulzer Crushed Stone and shut down in November of 1982. This was a room-and-pillar mine, bypassing about forty feet of shale overburden by putting a pair of drifts into the side of a surface trench. It's very likely that converting to underground mining actually reduced unit mining costs here, as it completely eliminated any requirement to strip overburden. Sometime after 1982, Conex Controlled Explosives used the property as a depot for storage of explosives to be used at surface mines in the region.

Intriguingly, both MSHA and the USGS MRDS database mention the Derby Slope Mine alongside the Derby Underground Mine. The Derby Slope closed in 1985, and does not appear on USGS topographic maps of the area (though, curiously, the Derby Underground does not either). I am virtually certain that the decline entry for the Derby Slope is located across Highway 70 from the mine we visited today, and that it is completely flooded. Sadly, slopes have a tendency to flood.

A word on that. It is typical for surface mines, especially smaller aggregate operations, to use third-party contractors for all blasting. Not only does this shift liability off of the mine operator, it also eliminates any requirement to place magazines on the mine site, as well as the requirement to obtain an FEL (Federal Explosives License). A necessity in this arrangement is a location for the contractor to store explosives. This was one.

Greeting us was a CASE 580L backhoe in good repair. Judging by the piles of aggregate nearby, it was probably used for road maintenance. The semi trailers in the background were used as mobile magazines; this requires bulletproof steel reinforcements as well as nonsparking wood interiors to meet ATF regulations. The road was flooded just beyond this point; we skirted along a ridge and dropped down on the other side of the water.

Just as Google Earth indicated, two portals surrounded by a small army of portable magazines! The magazines were in generally poor repair, and scattered haphazardly. The lack of large truck tracks suggests that this site hasn't been utilized for its intended purpose in years.

Three types of explosives are typically used in modern mining operations - primaries, secondaries, and blasting agents. Primary explosives are very sensitive, the real nasty stuff used in blasting caps and similar. They are used in very small quantities to initiate much safer, less sensitive explosives like emulsions, TNT, or plain old dynamite. In some underground mining applications, it stops there, and only primary and secondary explosives are used. I've done trim shots in an underground decline to slash it open for larger mobile equipment; only caps and dynamite were used. An emulsion explosive would have been more typical, but there was a large stock of dynamite available and we wanted to shoot it before it could sweat out its nitro! In bulk mining applications like production mining in a room-and-pillar limestone mine, a cap and secondary are combined together into a primer to initiate a blasting agent such as ANFO. ANFO is dirt cheap, simple to make, and effective in all dry holes larger than its critical diameter (which I seem to have forgotten).

The portals are in very good shape. Roof bolts and mesh were used for ground control, and about six feet of limestone was left to give a solid roof. Shale is not a suitable roof strata!

There were two magazines inside the mine, this portable box and a decrepit retrofitted semi trailer. Mining height was low, maybe fifteen feet - if I were to guess, the Derby Mine used purpose-built underground LHDs (Load-Haul-Dumps), rather than normal end loaders, as a result of the relatively low height.

Much of the mine is flooded. The water is not deep, only a foot or two, but neither of us wore rubber boots, so we won't be going any further today. This photo is about as muddy as the mine floor; I did not bring powerful lighting as I wasn't sure if the mine would be in good enough shape to enter.

The back (roof, top, insert regional mining slang of your choice) in the Derby Mine is generally quite good. In this photo, you can see a slab (light grey, middle) sticking out several inches from the solid roof the miners followed (brownish, top right). Normally, this would have been scaled down with bars or a mechanical scaler - the rock may just not have cooperated here, so roof bolts were installed to bind the slab to the solid roof. Everywhere we walked was solid enough to last since 1982 without any rock falling - truly the best back conditions we've ever seen in an abandoned mine! Spot bolting was used in areas of concern, and there were no bolts pushed out or hanging.

I'm not sure of the purpose of this board; it was probably used by Conex to post documents. There was no tag board found at the mine. For non-miners, a tag board is used to track which miners are underground at any time. Their tag, a fireproof brass disk with a number etched onto it, is moved from the 'OUT' or 'SURFACE' side of the board, to the 'IN' or 'UNDERGROUND' side of the board, upon going underground, and vice versa after returning topside. We miners carry a duplicate tag with the same etched number on our person (on a bootlace, in a pocket, or on the cable loop on our hard hat), for identification purposes.

Despite the water, I found at least one drift that continues quite a ways into the mine with a dry floor. Due to only having cap lamps, we did not proceed far, as the poor lighting makes effective photography impossible. We may return to the Derby Mine at a later date with rubber boots and better lighting. I do not know how extensive the mine is, but there is room for miles of workings to be driven north, deeper into the Hoosier National Forest.
In loving memory of Nichole - 12/4/1996 -- 12/1/2017

https://headframehunters.blogspot.com/
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Re: Derby Underground Mine

Post by mindwaave »

Headframe Hunters wrote:minex

Thanks for sharing all that detail! Pretty cool that there were magazines layin around...
Preservation over plunder.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

Awesome!

Can you translate this for us laymen:
by putting a pair of drifts into the side of a surface trench.
I don't know what 'drifts' are.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
Headframe Hunters
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Nicotti wrote:Awesome!

Can you translate this for us laymen:
by putting a pair of drifts into the side of a surface trench.
I don't know what 'drifts' are.
Drifts are tunnels in a mine, along the vein (in metal mines) or in the direction that mining progresses (in room-and-pillar mines). Crosscuts are driven perpendicular to drifts.

In this particular mine, there was a lot of shale overburden that would have been expensive to strip; the trench facilitated access straight into the limestone seam being mined.

Headframe Hunters
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

RE: Derby Underground Mine

Just got back from our second and probably final visit to the Derby Mine; this time we had rubber boots and much better illumination. Photography is still very tricky in this sort of environment; I need an extremely powerful light to truly do it right.

ANFO magazine trailer.

Muck pile

Lots of random wood trash in here.

Furry chicken nugget, AKA bat of undetermined species.

Future stalagmite.

Yours truly, checking roof bolts.

gnomad1
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by gnomad1 »

Love your mine posts. Fantastic pictures and knowledge.
Headframe Hunters
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Re: RE: Derby Underground Mine

gnomad1 wrote:Love your mine posts. Fantastic pictures and knowledge.
Thanks, I'm glad you enjoy them!

Headframe Hunters
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

We wound up making a third visit to this mine, with the goal of mapping as much as possible. This was made difficult by the water; we'll need a raft or dinghy to push deeper inside.

This haul truck tire was floating!

This truck was used to transport explosives. I'm not sure how long it's been here, or if it's still in use.

We found a turtle; upon further investigation, it is mostly if not completely blind! This suggests that turtles have been living here for quite a while.

The single worst roof fall I've ever seen in a mine...we flagged this area with fluorescent spray paint on the ribs to discourage entry.

A panorama of the roof fall. The roof fall and the drift to the right of it had partial muck piles; not all of the rock shot there was removed before the mine was abandoned.

Last but not least, a map assembled from the hand-drawn maps I drew while underground. The mine grid is arranged almost directly north-south according to my compass. Rooms and pillars both average 35-40ft across, and the back is about 18ft high.

gnomad1
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by gnomad1 »

Very interesting. Could you explain (in layman's terms) what made the roof fall so bad and why it happened?
Headframe Hunters
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

It's a particularly bad roof fall because of the quantity of material that fell, and the size of the area affected. Limestone is stratified; the different layers and seams will separate and fall apart if not supported. Think of it like a layer cake on stilts - leave too much unsupported in the middle and it will fall apart. Roof bolts will hold the layers together, sort of like toothpicks in a cake or sandwich.

I think this one was caused by blasting; the pile of rock up against the far wall is probably a muck pile that couldn't be mucked out due to the roof fall.

crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Post by crazydrummerdude »

Please tell me the"o" in blue on your map is the turtle.
Headframe Hunters
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

:lol: :lol: It's actually the floating truck tire.