Post by youthsonic »

Sent
"fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"
S1L3N7B0B
Lunch Box
Lunch Box

RE: Hutchinson Sinkhole

Post by S1L3N7B0B »

Charles Dexter Ward was telling Lenore and I about the Quindaro Ruins not so long ago. Apparently, it was once a tourist site, but from recent readings online, it appears abandoned.
We might die from medication
But we sure killed all the pain ~ Conor Oberst
LostLenore
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by LostLenore »

Yeah we definetly found it but there isnt really much to report on, it was lovely being up in bonner though...
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Re: RE: Hutchinson Sinkhole

Post by White Rabbit »

S1L3N7B0B wrote:Charles Dexter Ward was telling Lenore and I about the Quindaro Ruins not so long ago. Apparently, it was once a tourist site, but from recent readings online, it appears abandoned.
That's a ghost town or something, right?
S1L3N7B0B
Lunch Box
Lunch Box

Post by S1L3N7B0B »

It was a small town that played a part in the underground railroad I believe. This town included saloons, a school, and a brewery.

EDIT: Yeah, I spoke a little soon

EDIT2: Here's the history about it...
http://www.kckcc.cc.ks.us/ss/hancksqw.htm
Last edited by S1L3N7B0B on Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
We might die from medication
But we sure killed all the pain ~ Conor Oberst
LostLenore
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by LostLenore »

do we have any ideas of where we could find any good history on things that are up in the area. library resources really dont extend that direction very far. maybe we could poke around and see if we could get some background on all this business
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

If your near, try the state capital in Topeka. I know Jefferson City here in Missouri has some excellent information. I just don't have the gas to get there and back. :-(
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
youthsonic
Urban Perversion
Urban Perversion

Post by youthsonic »

If I remember right, on the 3rd floor of the library over by where the missouri history books are, there are several books on the Quindaro section of Kansas...
"fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"
Pyrate
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Pyrate »

Where can I find directions to Quindaro?
Next time out sea bring enough soil to bury me, for I don't want my final jig in the belly of a squid.
thetrio
Whiskey Tango
Whiskey Tango

Post by thetrio »

Just go to the poorest and scariest looking part of KCK and your in quindero
I went over to the dark side, but just to pick up a few things.
JupiterCries
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by JupiterCries »

My family came to Bonner in 1945 after WWII and grandpa started up his concrete company.

For quick (15-30min) blips of history, we own 3 concrete 'factory' sites which are really just brick buildings that used to have belts that carried concrete up to a silo and then dropped it into mixer trucks.

However, there is also an underground cold storage company down the road a bit. roughly a mile from the current cold storage site (along the same railroad I believe they are talking about with the sinkhole because it follows the river) there are rolling hills of vegitation. There is a roughly 3ft radius hole hidden in the side of one of the ravines that you can slide down into the caverns. I havent been there since I was 14, but let me tell you, it was quite an experience. It goes on forever, has old fuseboxes and lights hanging from the ceiling, but its an actual cave from all other visual aspects. I know the 'directions' to it, but finding the entrance again may take some exploring, like I can tell you within 100yds where the entrance is.

It is 56degrees there year round and there was a small copperhead right next to the entrance when I went there 10years ago, but I did not see any snakes IN the cavern.

Let me know if you're interested in checking it out. My grandparents own 13 acres of land with a collection of construction relics dating 50yrs or more right down the road from the railway that leads to the ravine.

We would have a place to park vehicles, prepare for the hike, be within distance for help (in case of caveoff or snakebite) and my last name is known well enough that even if we were caught on the railway past the storage company; there shouldnt be any trouble.

I think it would be really cool to go back, Ive mentioned it to a friend of mine a few times.
Time does not heal all wounds and distance makes the heart grow bitter.
whipping_post
The Corruptor
The Corruptor

Re: RE: Hutchinson Sinkhole

Post by whipping_post »

thetrio wrote:Just go to the poorest and scariest looking part of KCK and your in quindero
That doesn't narrow it down much! I've seen a few places in KCK that were pretty damn scary and those were the nice places.