Sunflower Ammunition Plant

Urban exploration in Kansas
KCUnderground
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: Sunflower Ammunition Plant

Post by KCUnderground »

If anyone ever wants to head out there, give me a shout. I live pretty close and will always be down.
maryhadalittlelame
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: Sunflower Ammunition Plant

Post by maryhadalittlelame »

I've been following this thread for years and finally decided to make an account to join in. I grew up in Clearview City, right across from SFAAP on W 103rd. I never had the balls to go in and explore, and I now live very far away, but if I ever come back for a visit, I'd love to come along if anyone is down to go.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Re: RE: Sunflower Ammunition Plant

Post by SubLunar »

maryhadalittlelame wrote:I've been following this thread for years and finally decided to make an account to join in. I grew up in Clearview City, right across from SFAAP on W 103rd. I never had the balls to go in and explore, and I now live very far away, but if I ever come back for a visit, I'd love to come along if anyone is down to go.
It's a lot of hiking and there is still some risk of trouble if you get spotted, so you gotta be sorta careful and avoid the main roads when possible. If you want to see all the main stuff visible on google maps, I think we clocked 11 miles of hiking that day.

It's definitely worth a visit IMO but try to plan it out in advance to make sure you can get your schedule to align with one of the locals and hit up some of the OGs you see here or on KCurbex who can either go with or point you in the right direction. There's certain places you want to avoid parking/entering that might not be obvious to someone who hasn't been before.
maryhadalittlelame
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: Sunflower Ammunition Plant

Post by maryhadalittlelame »

Is there anyone who might be interested in exploring the plant sometime this summer? I grew up near the plant, but never had the balls to try getting in there. I moved away to New England, but I'm planning a trip to Kansas City and would love to finally do this.
showmestateofmind
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: Sunflower Ammunition Plant

Post by showmestateofmind »

johnson county museum has a pretty extensive exhibit on the plant's history. It's an awesome museum a KC must! Built in an old mid century bowling alley.