Witchita Mountains

Urban exploration in Oklahoma
oktexin
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Witchita Mountains

Post by oktexin »

Does anyone have information on caves and mines in the witchita mountains area. I know there is a gold mine still there. But what else is there...mines, ghost towns, ruins, caves?
Maxzillian
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: Witchita Mountains

Post by Maxzillian »

I was actually just camping there last weekend. We did have one publically available map that showed the approximate location of two mines, however they are on the secluded part of the refuge that you can only access during the day or by night with a back-country camping permit.

I'm sure you could find buildings just by looking around. The Doris campground, which is where I camped, was once a mining camp so you may be able to unearth things there, but judging by how populated it is and has been, I doubt much of anything remains.

This details some good information.
http://www.summitpost.org/area/range/27 ... rness.html
What's the fun in making something simple?
oktexin
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by oktexin »

The website you listed gives a lot of good info. I wonder if the mines are blocked off? Or can you go wonder around in them?
Maxzillian
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Maxzillian »

The Pennington mine is blocked off, but I can't find anything on the Bonanza mine.
What's the fun in making something simple?
oktexin
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by oktexin »

I will do some more looking into the bonanza mine. There are also a few caves to go see. I know ow two, the spanish cave and the bat cave.