The Skirvin

Urban exploration in Oklahoma
idontlikespam
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

The Skirvin

Post by idontlikespam »

I have a relative that is officially in the know about property in OKC and this is what he told me about the Skirvin:

"It is still owned by Oklahoma City. It is going under a $50 million renovation and then it will be transferred into the new owner’s name. The reason they do it that way is for tax purposes. It will be managed by Marcus Hotels and Resorts under the Hilton name."

And he sent me this link:
http://www.marcusresorts.com/hotel_port ... vin_OK.asp
whipping_post
The Corruptor
The Corruptor

RE: The Skirvin

Post by whipping_post »

Any news on them redoing the basement with the kitchens and recreating the entry from the Concourse? I think I'd rather go and view it before it's turned over to the Hilton'$. I'll have to check with a couple of the partners I work for to see what they can swing, if anything.
I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own. I resign.
OKCEXP
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by OKCEXP »

They are supposed to turn it back into underground shopping and restaurants. They are supposed to redo the concourse and call is "The Underground" it will look pretty cool, go down there and get a brochure, it is worth a look.
Exploring the off limits of OKC
whipping_post
The Corruptor
The Corruptor

Post by whipping_post »

It's been long neglected and just a walkway for many for a long time, it'll be interesting to see what they do with it. Next time I go to Thai Kitchen, I'll pop down and see what I can find. If I can, I'll scan whatever I can in and post it.

Obviously the Murrah portion will never be re-opened.
I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own. I resign.
OKCEXP
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by OKCEXP »

wait so it connects to the murrah?? where does it go north after Robert s. Kerr?
whipping_post
The Corruptor
The Corruptor

Post by whipping_post »

It did before 95 but after the bombing, they sealed it up. If you're down there, they use to have signs pointing towards that branch of the underground (I've always called it that). It's fairly extensive, far more than what most people see and use. The largest part is really under the older portions of Downtown. It has the same odor, like old grease from cooking and decay, so it'll take a long time to renovate and I can think of better uses for the money, like our shitty roads.

I've rarely seen a full crowd down there in all the years I've worked downtown except in a few places here and there.
OKCEXP
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by OKCEXP »

so how far north did it go? if it is cut off at Robert S. Kerr then there would be like 3-4 blocks unused! that would be an awesome exploration.
whipping_post
The Corruptor
The Corruptor

Post by whipping_post »

It terminates around RSK but due to the bombing, anything north of that is pretty much gone. They put a bunch of the debris in the way from the bombing in place of it from what I remember. There are other portions that go north but nothing any further than at least 7th street. I do believe portions of it go all the way to Saints but considering the size of Saints, they may have their own concourse anymore.
ARLT1YJ
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Re: The Skirvin

Post by ARLT1YJ »

What's the status on the "Underground"? It's been almost a year and a half since anyone has posted anything about it. Have the Hilton'$ invested and completed their project yet?