Fayetteville Tunnels?

Urban exploration in Arkansas
McSwice
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Fayetteville Tunnels?

Post by McSwice »

I heard a rumor about tunnels spanning beneath Dickson Street in Fayetteville. NOT the university Steam tunnels. Anyone have any info?
David Keetz
Mercurial Disciple
Mercurial Disciple

RE: Fayetteville Tunnels?

Post by David Keetz »

it'd be pointless to have a tunnel beneath dickson street because it's on a couple of extreme slopes. There is no plausible way a tunnel can be underneath that street. I don't even think the WACC has an underground service/storage area.
McSwice
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by McSwice »

Good thing I didnt go looking for them then. =)
David Keetz
Mercurial Disciple
Mercurial Disciple

Post by David Keetz »

by all means....go look......usually find cool things when looking for something else
McSwice
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by McSwice »

Sounds good, I like the parking garages just of of dickson anyway =)
godfather
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Re: Fayetteville Tunnels?

Post by godfather »

let me know if you are headding out there. I'm curious if there is anything to be found, and would enjoy tagging along.
TooMuchCoffee
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by TooMuchCoffee »

Local legend says there is a tunnel that runs between Dickson and Maple up to the old Headquarters House. I'm tring to remember where the entrance is. It is located in an old (100 +) house. However, the railroad cut would have cut the tunnel in two. Supposedly, the end has never been located.
There is also a cave under the parking deck at the old WRMC hospital, supposedly one under the Methodist church, and was a large one under the Walton Arts Center that was filled in. In this cave, some Civil War artifacts were recovered before the cave was quickly filled in (rumor was the contractors didn't want the delay of a full blown investigation into the cave). There was a park that was filled in that had really neat stone arches and tunnels.
This area is all part of the original settled area of Fayetteville.
There are some tunnels under the Square, but I believe these to be completey inaccessible to the public.
"Anyone else smell that?"
godfather
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Post by godfather »

I still stand by being down for a tunnel hunt.
RXGT
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by RXGT »

there is an old tunnle that runs under dickson but I have yet to find one that runs the lenth of it
HOBBIT
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

Holy cow! a 6 year ressurection!
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
Wedge
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Wedge »

Divine Bovine! An octo-cycle resuscitation!

Numerically anyway.

Fun tunnel, but a lot of people go into it. A lot of graffiti. It starts on Clinton.

Fact: It is possible to go to the next street north of Dickson through the tunnel and climb out through a service cover. It pops out in the middle of the road though. Watch for cars!
s.sisco
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by s.sisco »

Wedge wrote:Divine Bovine! An octo-cycle resuscitation!

Numerically anyway.

Fun tunnel, but a lot of people go into it. A lot of graffiti. It starts on Clinton.

Fact: It is possible to go to the next street north of Dickson through the tunnel and climb out through a service cover. It pops out in the middle of the road though. Watch for cars!
It starts on center street near the rail road bridge.

I lifted that service cover once and as soon as i did a car ran over it. Glad my fingers weren't in between.
Btw I'm a douche. That is all...
Wedge
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Wedge »

They're about to start on their 'gardens' , which will replace the immediate parking lot with some walking paths and trees.

There was a coy pond in that area, but I'm sure that'll be changed too. Their also building a parking deck by Arsagas.

That was originally a creek, that got built over. I don't know how exposed it will become during construction, but it may be total, except north of Dickson. Anyone can look at the plans on the city's website.
NoahsArkansas
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by NoahsArkansas »

s.sisco wrote:

Numerically anyway.

I lifted that service cover once and as soon as i did a car ran over it. Glad my fingers weren't in between.

Where exactly on center street?
s.sisco
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by s.sisco »

NoahsArkansas wrote:
s.sisco wrote:

Numerically anyway.

Where exactly on center street?
Its under the rail road bridge that's by wes' bbq. (Which I highly recommend u try.) There are some apartments there and some stairs that will lead you almost right down where you need to go. Listen for running water.
Btw I'm a douche. That is all...