caves in Madison County area

Urban exploration in Arkansas
ambrosian_spelunker
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Re: RE: caves in Madison County area

Post by ambrosian_spelunker »

travcojim wrote:the best thing to do it just go out to the Madison County Wildlife Man. area and if you have a good truck .
I have taken vacation in Nov. and I will be caving the entire time (YES!!!). About the truck thing can you take a car?? I've taken mine in some really bad places it's a nice car but I still take it. Does anyone else know exactly how to locate these caves. I would like to map them internally as well as external. Seeking any suggestions!!
They called it domesticated, tamed, feminized ... is there a pill I can take to get rid of it??
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Re: caves in Madison County area

Post by Nicotti »

I've been in Wipperwill, it's an awesome cave, but it's large and easy to get lost in. If I remember tonight I'll post some of my photos. Also I have the cave map, Pm if you want it.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

RE: caves in Madison County area

Post by Nicotti »

Ok the color in some of the pics is off a bit. Wippoorwill Cave has two enterances.. the original water enterance and the sassafras enterance (which was dug out). The cave has about 6 straight trunk passages running NW-SE which are connected by a roughly E-W maze of multi leveled passageway.
Attachments
Image41.jpg
This image was brigtened alot in photoshop so you can see the bats
This image was brigtened alot in photoshop so you can see the bats
Flowstone
Flowstone
Waterfall coming out of a crawl
Waterfall coming out of a crawl
Image20.jpg
One of the main trunks.  Height is ~30-50 ft.
One of the main trunks. Height is ~30-50 ft.

-Ayn Rand
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

Couple more pics..
Attachments
Horrible pic, but a cool passage.  The crawlway that I'm laying in has a false floor.  The passageway below can be seen through a few collapsed in holes.  BTW the floor I'm laying on is only about 2-3 inches thick but you don't know that till you look in
Horrible pic, but a cool passage. The crawlway that I'm laying in has a false floor. The passageway below can be seen through a few collapsed in holes. BTW the floor I'm laying on is only about 2-3 inches thick but you don't know that till you look in
funky passages
funky passages
low flow waterfall into rimstone dam formation at a dead end
low flow waterfall into rimstone dam formation at a dead end
lots of formations everywheres
lots of formations everywheres
Sassafras passage
Sassafras passage
Looking up
Looking up

-Ayn Rand
godfather
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Post by godfather »

Great pics, thanks for sharing.
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

That is an awesome cave. Put that on my list of things to do. Is that on private property or public?
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
RB123
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by RB123 »

It's on public land in the wildlife management area.
RB123
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by RB123 »

These are the caves in the WMA that I know of and have coordinates for :
Picnic Cave
Pine Creek Cave
Whipporwill
Kiddie Mix Cave
StairWell Pearl Cave
Wagonshed Cave
Gafney
Salamander Cave
If anyone knows of any others but doesn't have these PM me.
GlassCurtain
Cereal Smuggler
Cereal Smuggler

Post by GlassCurtain »

ambrosian_spelunker wrote:how do I find this area and these caves. i'd like to check the area out and do some exploration there.
Ambrosian...I was curious how long it was going to take you to post on this topic. I figured you'd have the place mapped out by now. :)

Anyway, I've been there a few times to camp. We camped in a little cave across a stream but not sure what the name of it was.

Also those roads pretty much turn into a nice little maze. Hopefully they've added signs since I've been out there. I think your car should be ok on those roads.

Let me know when you go and my buddy and I will tag along. :)
RB123
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by RB123 »

GlassCurtain wrote: Also those roads pretty much turn into a nice little maze. Hopefully they've added signs since I've been out there. I think your car should be ok on those roads.
You can definitely get to several of the caves I know of in a car with no problem. The roads do get a little mazey and there still isn't much in the way of road signs. The link below should pull up a map of the WMA. It will help get you where you need to be.

http://www.agfc.state.ar.us/wma_lakes/m ... county.pdf
ambrosian_spelunker
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Post by ambrosian_spelunker »

glasscurtain wrote:.Ambrosian...I was curious how long it was going to take you to post on this topic. I figured you'd have the place mapped out by now. :)Let me know when you go and my buddy and I will tag along. :)[/
Yeah yeah I hear ya :D!! LOL Actually GC I have been out of commission, had a car accident. Healing and ready for my 12 days underground baby!!!!

November 4th through the 13th all in darkness! Seriously though heck yes I need the locations and directions! I will go during vacation. So you up for it? :?:

I have lots to finish mapping! Working on getting Cushman done I will spend quiet sometime there! shhh (lol) new entrance!! Actually I located a possible second entrance and will be researching and exploring it mainly. "Don't ask cause I won't tell!" Yet!

It's amazingly untouched and a beautiful specimen to see. Great formations although lots and lots of water :( COLD WATER lol. Found out the hard but completely submerged way! :shock:

Yeah if anyone is willing to relay the locations and how the heck I get there I am game just pm me! Got some new cameras' and I am ready to roll on it. So speaking of hearing from me where ya been hiding GC. It wasn't in my closet I looked! :D lol pm me.
They called it domesticated, tamed, feminized ... is there a pill I can take to get rid of it??