Quitman Titan II Silo - With Pictures

Urban exploration in Arkansas
Riggz13
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Quitman Titan II Silo - With Pictures

Post by Riggz13 »

Of the several(by which I mean 3) Titan II silos we've managed to find, this is the only one I've been able to get pictures of. Before you get your hopes up, let me point out that it's buried and currently inaccessible. This particular one is listed as the Quitman silo. I've got a link to Google Earth of where it is, but that could be the Guy silo. I can't ever remember which is which. Anyways, the pictures are certainly of the Quitman one.

Here's the info I have: It's on private property. There's a cattle guard at the edge of the road leading to it. Driving over it makes a lot of noise, and the owner will come see what you're doing. However, the guy we talked to was super nice, and impressed that I knew the number of the silo. So if you do your research upon going out there you might get an above ground tour like we did. The silo is imploded of course, but to my(and the owner's)knowledge, the command center is completely intact. All my research says that the command center should be huge. Like 10-stories of underground structure huge. The owner believes if you dug out the entrance everything else would be clear in there. The entrance is buried in dirt, but not real well. I think a team of able bodied dudes could unearth it within a few hours. Anyways, I'm rambling too much. Here's the link to Google Earth, and following that will be the best pictures I took of it(I suck at pictures, I'm sorry). On some of them I've taken the liberty of adding Madden-esque commentary.

Google Earth
Riggz13
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

RE: Quitman Titan II Silo - With Pictures

Post by Riggz13 »

Pictures! On the last picture, there should be another entrance hatch somewhere to the right of where I was standing. According the owner there was a main entrance with blast door, then several hatches located around the base.
Attachments
This field is where the missile and housing would have been. There should be some tunnels under here, and to the left in the distance is where the command center would be.
This field is where the missile and housing would have been. There should be some tunnels under here, and to the left in the distance is where the command center would be.
silo4.jpg
silo2.jpg
silo3.jpg
The only visible remains of the silo itself.
The only visible remains of the silo itself.
silo1.jpg
Google earth image (I think, it's a Titan II for sure, but maybe not the one I've taken pictures of)
Google earth image (I think, it's a Titan II for sure, but maybe not the one I've taken pictures of)
Riggz13
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by Riggz13 »

Last one for now. This is a base out past Vilonia, I think in the direction of Mt. Vernon. At any rate it's only a few miles from Holland, AR. It's a little more obvious, situated on Missile Base Road:

Google Earth Vilonia
Attachments
silo8.jpg
junkman306
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by junkman306 »

Very nice pics.
What's the point of making a point if the point you are trying to make is pointless? Do you get my point?
Split
Personality
Personality

Post by Split »

So did you ask him if we could dig out the entrance??
cobcob
Aequitas
Aequitas

Re: Quitman Titan II Silo - With Pictures

Post by cobcob »

I'll bring some shovels!
GlassCurtain wrote:I like to masturbate during the sexual harassment films at work.
Pinkspider wrote:check here for geeky crotch eating goodness and crazy fake ass hair
Riggz13
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Re: RE: Quitman Titan II Silo - With Pictures

Post by Riggz13 »

Split wrote:So did you ask him if we could dig out the entrance??
I lied and told him I was out there doing research and just needed some pictures. He sounded interested in seeing what was down there, but not interested enough to do any work to get to it. I'd be more then happy to give someone directions if they wanted to ask that sort of thing, but I don't have the testicular fortitude required. I'd be more then willing to help dig if someone secured permission though.
junkman306
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by junkman306 »

Sounds like fun. We should make a field trip out of it.
What's the point of making a point if the point you are trying to make is pointless? Do you get my point?
godfather
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Post by godfather »

I'm in. I also know where the silo is/was just outside of Conway, but it is in the same condition of being completely buried now. Just a big field.

Great job
Spinner
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Spinner »

If you guys ever go up to Lawrence, Ks., there's a ton of those places all around there. Same for Wichita. Just gotta know where to look.
Split
Personality
Personality

Re: RE: Quitman Titan II Silo - With Pictures

Post by Split »

Riggz13 wrote:I'd be more then happy to give someone directions if they wanted to ask that sort of thing, but I don't have the testicular fortitude required. I'd be more then willing to help dig if someone secured permission though.
I nominate junkman306.
junkman306
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by junkman306 »

Game on!
cobcob
Aequitas
Aequitas

Post by cobcob »

I call shotgun on this adventure!
GlassCurtain wrote:I like to masturbate during the sexual harassment films at work.
Pinkspider wrote:check here for geeky crotch eating goodness and crazy fake ass hair
GlassCurtain
Cereal Smuggler
Cereal Smuggler

Post by GlassCurtain »

That would be awesome if we could get permission to dig it out.

Very nice pics. I love burried stuff.

junkman have you gotten permission yet? Come on! :)
“I investigate things to complete my knowledge, my complete knowledge makes my thoughts sincere, my thoughts being sincere; my heart is pure.”

http://www.flickr.com/photos/glasscurtain/
junkman306
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by junkman306 »

I don't even know where it's at lol. I'll step on it.