My trip to Dogpatch

Urban exploration in Arkansas
slow_walker
Shyest Street Sofa Champion Ever!

My trip to Dogpatch

Post by slow_walker »

I know there are already a million threads with Dogpatch USA pictures in them, but we haven't had any new ones in a few months.

I had never been before, not even when they were open. So, I have been dying to get down there for quite some time now. On Tuesday, a friend called me up to say they had the day off work and asked if I wanted to go somewhere and do something. I said "I wanna go to Dogpatch" so we took off for Jasper, AR immediately.

We just made a day long roadtrip out of it and took our time. On our way we took a few scenic pics of different areas:
Attachments
A couple of Elk we spotted near the Buffalo.
A couple of Elk we spotted near the Buffalo.
Deer in Eureka
Deer in Eureka
Christ Of The Ozarks up close from behind statue
Christ Of The Ozarks up close from behind statue
Christ Of The Ozarks in Eureka Springs from a distance
Christ Of The Ozarks in Eureka Springs from a distance
Here's the 1 lane bridge at Beaver, AR
Here's the 1 lane bridge at Beaver, AR
This is the old railroad bridge that crossed the lake at Beaver, but mostly the picture is of the frost which covered everything and the cloud which was settled in the valley - looked prettier in person.
This is the old railroad bridge that crossed the lake at Beaver, but mostly the picture is of the frost which covered everything and the cloud which was settled in the valley - looked prettier in person.
GlassCurtain
Cereal Smuggler
Cereal Smuggler

Re: My trip to Dogpatch

Post by GlassCurtain »

Very nice pics!!! I really like the beaver bridge and the fog on the water!
“I investigate things to complete my knowledge, my complete knowledge makes my thoughts sincere, my thoughts being sincere; my heart is pure.”

http://www.flickr.com/photos/glasscurtain/
slow_walker

Post by slow_walker »

And now to the fun stuff - Dogpatch U.S.A.

There was a lot of activity and different types of work being done. There was even an electric company truck. Probably saw 10 people walking around in different areas and 3 vehicles came and left. These pictures were taken from the road as my friend drove by at 10 miles an hour and I hung out the window snapping shots. We drove back and forth in front of the park probably 15 times and stopped at the gates once.

The gate at the back end of the park was open and that is where the electric company truck was parked. I really wanted to drive in and ask them if I could take a few pictures, but we were too wimpy. They are definately trying to get something accomplished, but even though there was a lot of activity, it seems like it still might take a long time for them to be finished. There were kids around and it almost looked as though a couple of families were living there and just working on the place with themselves and some friends. Not trying to offend anyone or assume that I know what is going on - just saying that is what it looks like.
Attachments
Dogpatch 9-850.jpg
Dogpatch 8-850.jpg
Dogpatch 7-850.jpg
Dogpatch 6-850.jpg
Dogpatch 5-850.jpg
Dogpatch 4-850.jpg
Dogpatch 3-850.jpg
Dogpatch 2-850.jpg
Dogpatch 1-850.jpg
Last edited by slow_walker on Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
slow_walker

Post by slow_walker »

and some more:
Attachments
Dogpatch 17-850.jpg
Dogpatch 16-850.jpg
Dogpatch 15-850.jpg
Dogpatch 14-850.jpg
Dogpatch 13-850.jpg
Dogpatch 12-850.jpg
Dogpatch 11-850.jpg
Dogpatch 10-850.jpg
slow_walker

Post by slow_walker »

GlassCurtain wrote:Very nice pics!!! I really like the beaver bridge and the fog on the water!
Thanks, that one is my fave. It turned out to be a beautiful picture with great composition (if I do say so myself). Unfortunately, there are street signs and an electric line almost ruining the whole thing.
godfather
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Post by godfather »

Great pics, I am looking forward to seeing what is going to happen to DP. I rememebr going there allot as a kid. My girlfriend's parents both worked there for a awhile also.
Split
Personality
Personality

RE: My trip to Dogpatch

Post by Split »

Sweet.
KansasCity
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

Post by KansasCity »

That bridge is cool, are you still allowed to drive on it?
I knew a transsexual guy whose only ambition is to eat, drink, and be Mary.

Aka Gringo Loco on KcUrbex.org and UER
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

slow_walker wrote:
GlassCurtain wrote:Very nice pics!!! I really like the beaver bridge and the fog on the water!
Thanks, that one is my fave. It turned out to be a beautiful picture with great composition (if I do say so myself). Unfortunately, there are street signs and an electric line almost ruining the whole thing.
I have to disagree with those features almost ruining it. I think they make the picture. Gives a good sense of scale, and the horizontal line of the electric line contrasts nicely with diagonal/perspective line of the bridge. I also like the way it bisects the downward arc of the suspension cable. I really like the traffic light you have in there. The lights are the only true circles in the whole composition, and they contrast nicely with all the straight lines.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
cobcob
Aequitas
Aequitas

Post by cobcob »

I actually find the lights to be more of an elliptical shape... which provides a good tie in to the curvature of the suspension cable and simultaneously providing juxtaposition with the harsh angular lines of the light surround
GlassCurtain wrote:I like to masturbate during the sexual harassment films at work.
Pinkspider wrote:check here for geeky crotch eating goodness and crazy fake ass hair
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

Either way, it works. There's also the cool reflection in the foggy water. Took me a minute to realize what it was.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
Gravefindr
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: My trip to Dogpatch

Post by Gravefindr »

Great Pics! Thanks for Sharing! I'd been wondering if anyone had been there lately and what was happening. I wish they'd hurry up, the wait to see what they are gonna do with it is excruciating! :lol:
Split
Personality
Personality

Post by Split »

KansasCity wrote:That bridge is cool, are you still allowed to drive on it?
Yes. There was once talk about turning it into a walking bridge only because nobody wants to pay to maintain the bridge. However they decided against it and it's still open to traffic.
Split
Personality
Personality

Post by Split »

cobcob wrote:I actually find the lights to be more of an elliptical shape... which provides a good tie in to the curvature of the suspension cable and simultaneously providing juxtaposition with the harsh angular lines of the light surround
:?
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

cobcob wrote:I actually find the lights to be more of an elliptical shape... which provides a good tie in to the curvature of the suspension cable and simultaneously providing juxtaposition with the harsh angular lines of the light surround
You win. You have 8 tri-syllabic or greater words. I only had 6.
― Ken Ham