Caving Eureka Springs

Urban exploration in Arkansas
kjohnnytarr
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Caving Eureka Springs

Post by kjohnnytarr »

I used to pend time in Eureka Springs before I ended up here in CoMo, and I thought I'd pass one on:

A shop in Eureka has an entrance to a cave INSIDE it! I won't post the name of the shop (I don't want the world banging down the gentleman's door) but you can find it at the bottom of a hill if you look. It's a knick-knack type shop. (aren't they all?)

It used to be a bathhouse, and the interesting thing is that a dam was built inside of the cave, in order to supply the water to the house. It's quite an interesting place, and a polite team might be able to talk their way into getting in the cave.

Cheers,
-K
Praying for me is like putting quarters in a coke machine that isn't plugged in.
GlassCurtain
Cereal Smuggler
Cereal Smuggler

Re: Caving Eureka Springs

Post by GlassCurtain »

Cool I'll have to keep an eye out for it next time. My parents just bought a house there.

BTW. Welcome to the forum. I just spoke to you on UER about rope decents. :)
“I investigate things to complete my knowledge, my complete knowledge makes my thoughts sincere, my thoughts being sincere; my heart is pure.”

http://www.flickr.com/photos/glasscurtain/
junkman306
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: Caving Eureka Springs

Post by junkman306 »

I was there not too long ago and I believe I saw something of that sort in one of the shops. It's so pretty there.
kjohnnytarr
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by kjohnnytarr »

yeah, I've also been in a magic shop there that supposedly has access to some sort of tunnel, but I don't know for sure.
Praying for me is like putting quarters in a coke machine that isn't plugged in.
junkman306
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by junkman306 »

There was a store I went in, and I forgot the name, that had a spring in the back wall and a small hole looking thing like a cave.
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

I believe it. There's old tunnels under the streets in parts of Eureka. Very cool, but wet :)
downhil
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by downhil »

White Rabbit wrote:I believe it. There's old tunnels under the streets in parts of Eureka. Very cool, but wet :)
i'm pretty sure the shop he's talking about is near the (outdoor) entrance to the tunnels.
junkman306
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by junkman306 »

I wanna go and do some crawlin now. :D
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

Uh, guys remember that some of the streets had to be built up higher then they were originally. One street I know for sure that has a level under it is the one that goes by the Basin Park Hotel.
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
Split
Personality
Personality

Post by Split »

I want to see all this damnit.
godfather
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Post by godfather »

All the more reason to have the BBQ there.
kjohnnytarr
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by kjohnnytarr »

godfather wrote:All the more reason to have the BBQ there.
I would def go to a BBQ in Eureka if I could get a ride from central MO. Keep me posted on those, I've only recently heard of them.
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

There's also the Rock House Cave, which is behind a resturant in downtown Eureka Springs. It used to be a saloon back in the old days. You can go in (you're not supposed to, but I've done it) but it doesn't go back very far.

There's also a small cave at Basin Spring Park that you can crawl back into quite a ways, but it's a tight squeeze and I've never attempted it myself.
Latest Update - Camp Wellfleet, Freshbrook Village: http://undergroundozarks.com/blog/sertile/
kjohnnytarr
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by kjohnnytarr »

Sertile wrote:There's also the Rock House Cave, which is behind a resturant in downtown Eureka Springs. It used to be a saloon back in the old days. You can go in (you're not supposed to, but I've done it) but it doesn't go back very far.

There's also a small cave at Basin Spring Park that you can crawl back into quite a ways, but it's a tight squeeze and I've never attempted it myself.
Is the cave you're talking about behind a restaurant owned buy a guy who is building a castle. Because I think I've eaten there
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

Um... I don't recall there being a castle the last time I was there, but who knows? It's just up the hill from the Funnel Cake Factory.

Also, the Basin Spring Hotel (next to the park) is built into the hillside, and the back rooms on the lower level are a hollowed-out area of the cliff face, though not a naturally-occuring cavern.
Latest Update - Camp Wellfleet, Freshbrook Village: http://undergroundozarks.com/blog/sertile/