She's Goin' Up

Urban exploration in Arkansas
TooMuchCoffee
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

She's Goin' Up

Post by TooMuchCoffee »

The construction of the new hotel where the Mountain Inn once stood has started. I'm going to go and try to get some pictures today. A buddy told me alot of the Center St buildings basements are fully exposed above ground.
Interestingly, the "T" crane has been intalled. It is 247 feet tall. Supposedly the mayor, who has been pushing for this project, has called for the crane to be "disguised" so not to "upset" the skyline. :shock:

"Hey kids, look at that 247 foot tall, very thin, T-shaped tree lifting those metal beams. Isn't nature amazing?"

More to follow.
"Anyone else smell that?"
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Re: She

Post by Nicotti »

Maybe they'll paint it sky blue, causing a plane to hit it.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
godfather
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Post by godfather »

Noticed the crane today as well. That thing is massive.
Riggz13
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

RE: She's Goin' Up

Post by Riggz13 »

So in like 50 years can I assume this will be abandoned and I'll take my hovercar up there and explore?
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

I saw a cell phone tower on the way in from Western Mass that they tried to disguise as a pine tree... too bad it was twice as tall as every other tree. People need to just give it up.
Latest Update - Camp Wellfleet, Freshbrook Village: http://undergroundozarks.com/blog/sertile/
godfather
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Post by godfather »

There are several "Tree Towers" that actually look kinda cool, but most of them are just stupid and a waste of money.
TooMuchCoffee
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by TooMuchCoffee »

Technical glich in the system today. I'm going to try to get the photos taken either tomarrow or Sunday.
TooMuchCoffee
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by TooMuchCoffee »

Okay, here we go (I hope).
Note: today's paper said the crane is actually 280 feet tall, and yes, there is a restroom up there for the operator. There is a very good chance there will be a second crane installed later.
Attachments
Looking inside the old McNair building.  It has recently been added to the project.  This is the western most building of the project on Center St.
Looking inside the old McNair building. It has recently been added to the project. This is the western most building of the project on Center St.
Center St looking east towards the old County Courthouse.  This part is being turned back into apartments.  The old courthouse is also being reinivated.
Center St looking east towards the old County Courthouse. This part is being turned back into apartments. The old courthouse is also being reinivated.
Entrance to the old "Brass Monkey" club in the basement.
Entrance to the old "Brass Monkey" club in the basement.
Looking SW towards the Center St side that is being reinivated.  Vacant corner is where the old Courts Bld was
Looking SW towards the Center St side that is being reinivated. Vacant corner is where the old Courts Bld was
Looking east on Mountain St.  This was the sites of the Red Bird Cafe, the old Niblock Law Firm, the parking deck, and the Mountain Inn "Tower".  You're looking at the backside of the Center St buildings
Looking east on Mountain St. This was the sites of the Red Bird Cafe, the old Niblock Law Firm, the parking deck, and the Mountain Inn "Tower". You're looking at the backside of the Center St buildings
The crane
The crane
TooMuchCoffee
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by TooMuchCoffee »

Even more photos (since I think I've got a 3rd grader's idea how to do this now).

There were actually a bunch of workers running around and one followed me for awhile. So I didn't make any attempt to jump the fence and stayed on the sidewalk.
Attachments
Inside the entrance of the McNair building.
Inside the entrance of the McNair building.
The heavy shadowed area is the remains of "the Crawl".  This was a space between the buildings that was actually capped over.  Was about 4 to 5 feet tall in there.  You had to crawl through the openning for the alley way to get in. Lots of homeless bunked
The heavy shadowed area is the remains of "the Crawl". This was a space between the buildings that was actually capped over. Was about 4 to 5 feet tall in there. You had to crawl through the openning for the alley way to get in. Lots of homeless bunked
The old McNair building.  It has recently been added to the project.
The old McNair building. It has recently been added to the project.
The original name: the Industrial building.  Built in 1929, later became the "original" part of the Mountain Inn
The original name: the Industrial building. Built in 1929, later became the "original" part of the Mountain Inn
Exposed basement.  You could see that the building is right now being held up by heavy timber bracing inside the basement.  The vacant lot to the right is where the old city Court Building was.
Exposed basement. You could see that the building is right now being held up by heavy timber bracing inside the basement. The vacant lot to the right is where the old city Court Building was.
I tried to get a picture of the heavy reinforcing their having to do.
I tried to get a picture of the heavy reinforcing their having to do.
Exposed basements of Center St buildings.
Exposed basements of Center St buildings.
CasperMilkToast
Bearer of Man-Thong
Bearer of Man-Thong

Post by CasperMilkToast »

So, is WR gonna make a trip there to climb the crane?
The problem is that God gives men a brain and a penis, and only enough blood to run one at a time. - Robin Williams
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

and take pictures from the top od said brane
Sleep is a waste of time,you can sleep when you are dead
TooMuchCoffee
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by TooMuchCoffee »

Use the areas highest restroom and then rappel down. :wink:

On the serious side, the article said it takes the operator 45 minutes to climb up or down. Plus, it's Razorback colors - red and white. You can walk down Mountain St right under it and up next to it's base. It's amazingly narrow. Crazy job if you ask me.

Tech question: my shots were limited to 200 whatevers. Is there anyway to make them bigger on here so you can see the detail better?
godfather
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Post by godfather »

Host them somewhere else and post from there. Great pics btw
Spinner
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Spinner »

I had the distinct privilege of "exploring" the old Mtn Inn a few years ago.

Read the story here - viewtopic.php?t=1878
Split
Personality
Personality

Post by Split »

You should post that picture of the new parking garage.