satellite pictures

Urban exploration in Arkansas
Riggz13
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

RE: satellite pictures

Post by Riggz13 »

Great pictures man! I'm jealous, but at the same time, I'm so glad this thing is real and I didn't make it up. Could you give directions back to it from Hopper if asked?
Static_Age
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: RE: satellite pictures

Post by Static_Age »

Riggz13 wrote:Great pictures man! I'm jealous, but at the same time, I'm so glad this thing is real and I didn't make it up. Could you give directions back to it from Hopper if asked?
because we want to visit this place in the future

I think we decided to not post directions to this place, but if you want GPS coordinates you can PM Glasscurtain.

its not like its a secret or anything, but I'm sure you understand.
"The man in black fled across the desert, and the Gunslinger followed."
GlassCurtain
Cereal Smuggler
Cereal Smuggler

Re: satellite pictures

Post by GlassCurtain »

Yeah this place was great. hopefully we'll know more when Split posts his pics. Right inside the front glass doors of the white building there was a bulletin board with a bunch of articles about the place. unfortunately there was a security cam inside the door. So since I was wearing the hat. I volunteered to take pics of the board. Hopefully we can learn more.

Also, I did get the GPS coordinates but unfortunately I just had a wreck in my car :( and my GPS is in it. I'll try to get it tomorrow when I take it to the shop.
“I investigate things to complete my knowledge, my complete knowledge makes my thoughts sincere, my thoughts being sincere; my heart is pure.”

http://www.flickr.com/photos/glasscurtain/
Static_Age
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Static_Age »

GlassCurtain wrote:Yeah this place was great. hopefully we'll know more when Split posts his pics. Right inside the front glass doors of the white building there was a bulletin board with a bunch of articles about the place. unfortunately there was a security cam inside the door. So since I was wearing the hat. I volunteered to take pics of the board. Hopefully we can learn more.

Also, I did get the GPS coordinates but unfortunately I just had a wreck in my car :( and my GPS is in it. I'll try to get it tomorrow when I take it to the shop.
I'm sorry to hear about your car, are you ok?
"The man in black fled across the desert, and the Gunslinger followed."
GlassCurtain
Cereal Smuggler
Cereal Smuggler

Post by GlassCurtain »

Yeah I'm fine. I was just being stupid around a corner and lost control. Luckily no one else was involved and I wasn't hurt. I side swiped a limb on a tree and wrinkled the driver side pretty good. My friends that were following me were great with support and have a few hookups. I'm now drowning my sorrows in a bottle of vodka. :) Drinking is great...there's no past...no future...just a sweet sticky now.

To quote the triple X movie:

"You're alright Yorgie."
"Ehhh...everything is alright with enough vodka."

Also to quote David Ford:

"Just another afternoon, to get drunk and dissapear."
Last edited by GlassCurtain on Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I investigate things to complete my knowledge, my complete knowledge makes my thoughts sincere, my thoughts being sincere; my heart is pure.”

Split
Personality
Personality

Post by Split »

Sorry I took so long to get on here and also sorry to hear about your wreck! I'm glad you werent going fast enough to hurt yourself. Ehh where to start....
So did anyone decide who owns the dish???
does anyone know what it was originally used for??
did you check out the other building???
did you climb to the top or is it in bad shape??
Man you guys would get a A+ on this one
It looks like the place has something to do with an Arkansas Research Test Station as you will see in the photo(s) I will soon post. It was some sort of communications satellite. I guess that's obvious, but it's about all I could gather from the photo. Like Static said, the building sill had power to it and the place was maintained. Not sure what goes on in there, but like glass said, there was a security camera pointing towards the door. I climbed up as far as I felt was safe to go. I'll post that picture as well.

man this is so James Bondish
That's what I said when Static whipped out his binoculars to scan the scene prior to entering. :lol:

Thanks Glass and Static, I really had a great time going out there with you guys.
Split
Personality
Personality

Post by Split »

Ok, here are some of the pictures I took. I tried to pick out some views that you haven't seen already. If you want to see a clearer version of the photo of the newspaper collage, pm me. The original photo is a bit clearer then the 100k version I uploaded here. If anyone wants to get it from me and post it on here in it's full size, that'd be cool.
Attachments
A collage of news articles posted on the wall by the front door.
A collage of news articles posted on the wall by the front door.
Looking up...
Looking up...
As far up the satellite as I could go.
As far up the satellite as I could go.
Looking from the inside of the satellite out.
Looking from the inside of the satellite out.
Inside the control room box thingy.
Inside the control room box thingy.
The top of a little control room box thingy....and beer.
The top of a little control room box thingy....and beer.
Here is the one of the wheels that was used to rotate it.
Here is the one of the wheels that was used to rotate it.
IMG_2016.jpg
A picture taken to show how big the satellite is compared to a human.
A picture taken to show how big the satellite is compared to a human.
Last edited by Split on Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

that is juat about the coolest thing i have seen for a long time i love that scifi stuff
GREAT JOB GUYS
Sleep is a waste of time,you can sleep when you are dead
godfather
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Post by godfather »

HOLY CRAP I WISH I COULD HAVE GONE. Nothing is going to stop me from making the return visit with you guys. Greeat pics, and you did an excelent job finding the place. Totaly worth the effort.
Split
Personality
Personality

Post by Split »

ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

Did I say that is totaly Awesome
Sleep is a waste of time,you can sleep when you are dead
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

From what I can make out from that pic, the article titles are...

Arkansas Gazette - Caddo Gap to Have a Niche in History

(N?)AC Closes Communications Gap at Caddo

Standard Eureka? - Caddo Gap to become Outpost of Communications Satellite

Caddo Gap Research Facility Anaugrated (sp?)

I'll try and see if i can dig up the newspaper articles at the library.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
GlassCurtain
Cereal Smuggler
Cereal Smuggler

Post by GlassCurtain »

Awesome. I'd love to know more about it.

ALSO I now have the exact GPS coordinates so anyone who would like them please PM me.
Last edited by GlassCurtain on Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TooMuchCoffee
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by TooMuchCoffee »

Man, I'm going to say it's still in use. At least, the building is. Looks way too maintained to be totally abandoned. Maybe their still doing research without using the dish? Maybe it's like SEFOR and the property was returned to the original land owners as caretakers? Maybe it's secretly powered by SEFOR and used to contact the aliens that are running the government and... sorry. Too much Sci Fi and Franklyspeakingradio this weekend.
"Anyone else smell that?"
fsp
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by fsp »

This thing reminds me of Goldeneye so much! Anyway, the it might be an old National Reconissance Office(NRO)
site or an old AT&T cold war defense communications site. It looks like most of the AT&T sites I've been to except for the dish. Be careful with these sites, some appear closed down, but are still active. Most old AT&T sites still have power connected. How tall is the metal radio tower at the site? And where is the site located?

It looks like this one is still in use, but if you get me location and coordinates I can try to find out who owns it. The white tank in the back...was it a NEW fuel tank?
If it was, dont go back. The sites usually have huge electric backup generators. A newer tank means the site is still in use. Some AT&T sites have underground control rooms that are manned constantly, but appear to have empty parking lots. I need to take a fieldtrip. :twisted:
Last edited by fsp on Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.