Found a Drain That Might Go Under Dickson St

Urban exploration in Arkansas
TooMuchCoffee
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Found a Drain That Might Go Under Dickson St

Post by TooMuchCoffee »

Yesterday at work I noticed a large drain opening that might go under Dickson St. There is a creek that runs north-south through Fayetteville. At Center Street just east of the new walking trail and just west of University St, you can see where the creek goes under Center St on the south side and apparantly into a drain or tunnel. The north side has some old warehouse type buildings where the creek should come out.
The entrance is in the backyard of an apartment complex so gaining access doesn't appear to be an issue.
I've never paid attention to it before.
I'm going to go back, get the creek name, take some pics and first try to track it above ground.
I'll update later
"Anyone else smell that?"
godfather
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Re: Found a Drain That Might Go Under Dickson St

Post by godfather »

Nice find.
GlassCurtain
Cereal Smuggler
Cereal Smuggler

Re: Found a Drain That Might Go Under Dickson St

Post by GlassCurtain »

Cool. I'm in bentonville. You'll have to let us know what you find. It would be cool to check it out.
“I investigate things to complete my knowledge, my complete knowledge makes my thoughts sincere, my thoughts being sincere; my heart is pure.”

http://www.flickr.com/photos/glasscurtain/
Rider_55
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: Found a Drain That Might Go Under Dickson St

Post by Rider_55 »

If I rember correctly this box culvert structure extends up into the WAC parking lot large enought to stand in. There is a grate opening for it in the parking lot just west of the building that houses Flying Burrito. I have never explored this one however if I had to guess you are going to find stand up access to the WAC and smaller pipes from there up collecting the storm drainage up and down dickson. I doubt that there is an upstream end. Note: this structure is likely never completly dry due to the springs in the area so it is probably gonna be pretty slick. If you go exploring post results.
TooMuchCoffee
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

RE: Found a Drain That Might Go Under Dickson St

Post by TooMuchCoffee »

I'm think you're right. Years ago before they built the WAC, there was the little wooded park to the west that had the creek below street grade. I explored it once with friends but we didn't take a camera. That section of the creek was channeled with native stone rock walls and arches. We found several openings to the east you could stand up in, but we also didn't take flashlights (it was the middle of the day and we didn't know we'd find these). That whole park was filled in to make the WAC parking lot. The spring fed fountain on the south end is a recreation of what it looked like, except the bed walls were 8 feet high. I was disgusted when they filled it in.
There used to be the old ruins of the 2 standing walls there. It had the large slogan painted "Fayetteville, for lack of a better world". There was a bottom floor to that you could only see from the back. It too is gone for the WAC parking lot.

Worthless trivia: the spring in the fountain is actually very deep. In 1986 or 87, a homeless guy fell in and drowned. It was fenced off for years because of that.
"Anyone else smell that?"