underground eureka springs

Urban exploration in Arkansas
downhil
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

underground eureka springs

Post by downhil »

i lived in eureka for about 13 years. i moved away to austin in 93. while i was there there was always a rumor of an 'underground city'. i was wondering if any of you guys have proven or disproven this. or has anybody heard of this story; maybe it was something that just floated around for a few years in the late 80's early 90's. either way, i have some possible locations that were supposedly 'the way in', but my friends and i were always scared to check it out. i may be coming up to visit in march.
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

RE: underground eureka springs

Post by White Rabbit »

I have two counts of misdemeanor trespass on my record that say it's real. :D

But, seriously, they do exist. Myself and at least one other person on this forum have been there. It's not really an underground city, but it's still very cool. It's just a system of tunnels that are big enough to walk through (most of the way, anyway) that go under most of downtown. They're also used as drainage tunnels (although I don't believe that's what they were originally used for), so they always have a steady flow of water running through them.

But, yeah, the cops keep a better eye on them since some of us got caught. It's not impossible by any means, but they definitely watch them more.
downhil
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by downhil »

i seem to remember hearing about an entrance right by the intersection of south main (after it splits at spring st.) and flint st. (which leads up to east mountain. i remember a big drainage opening kinda behind the 2 shops that are clumped right there.
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

Yup. PM'ing you :)
downhil
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by downhil »

any pics?

i didnt really do any ue when i lived there but i did have a ton of really cool spots i found in the woods around eureka. i plan on coming up with a couple friends in march and bringing the mountain bikes to do some trailblazing.
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Re: RE: underground eureka springs

Post by White Rabbit »

downhil wrote:any pics?
PM'ing you ;)
i didnt really do any ue when i lived there but i did have a ton of really cool spots i found in the woods around eureka.
Oh, yeah, I know. There's old building remains all over Eureka, in the little wooded areas and valleys. A guy could spend days and not see all of them.
downhil
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by downhil »

thanks!
Gatsby
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Gatsby »

Yes the underground is real and it is pretty cool. Ive got some pictures that I'll upload later one. Like Rabbit said it's mainly a long linear tunnel that will take you into several large rooms.

Has anybody reached the end of it? I haven't yet. I ran out of time and ended up climbing out of a manhole in the middle of the sidewalk across from the trolley station.
I refuse to answer that question on the basis that I don't know the answer.
Split
Personality
Personality

Post by Split »

Please don't forget to upload those pics, I really wanna see this.
arkie 123
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Re: underground eureka springs

Post by arkie 123 »

There is a cave north of town. The Blue Moon Tavern Cave. Not real big but easy to get too.
junkman306
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by junkman306 »

Yea I wanna see these pics.
What's the point of making a point if the point you are trying to make is pointless? Do you get my point?
testube
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Post by testube »

A few days ago, I spoke to a woman who works for Parks & Rec here in town and she stated that there is an old street level below the Basin Park and Spring Street.

Not sure if the "street" she mentions is the same as the cave passage that was posted with the photos of Monte Ne, though.
arkie 123
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Re: underground eureka springs

Post by arkie 123 »

There is another sidewalk level across from Basin Park. I've been in before. Spring Street is a floor higher now than back then.