Eureka Springs

Urban exploration in Arkansas
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Eureka Springs

Post by Sertile »

Hey, this is really for WR but anyone else can feel free to chime in. I was curious about some places I noticed on my last visit down to Eureka Springs (about a year ago). This is also the reason I was interested in attachments.

The first one is in Basin Spring park. For historical reasons I was wondering if this is THE spring Eureka Springs was made famous for, and where there are other springs around the city. Also, two things interest me about this part of town. A large crevice in the bluffs above the park (which I take to be the original spring) with a pipe coming out of it, and a large drain in the park below it, with a grating over it.

Also, there's a cave with a fairly large mouth I noticed higher up the hill, the Rock House Cave. I couldn't get close enough to see if there was a gate, unfortunately, and I don't have a picture of the actual cave.

Anyway, I'm wondering if either of these places have been explored at all. I hope the pictures work/help.
Attachments
Interior, Basin Park spring
Interior, Basin Park spring
NEWBIT~4.JPG (50.14 KiB) Viewed 6382 times
Exterior, Basin Park spring
Exterior, Basin Park spring
NEWBIT~3.JPG (52.74 KiB) Viewed 6380 times
Cave plaque
Cave plaque
NEWBIT~2.JPG (59.42 KiB) Viewed 6380 times
Basin Park drain
Basin Park drain
NEWBIT~1.JPG (74.51 KiB) Viewed 6380 times
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

RE: Eureka Springs

Post by White Rabbit »

Wow. I'm pretty familiar with Eureka, but I don't know of either of those. Looks awesome, though. Hopefully someone else here can tell you something.
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

Here's the rest of what I've got. Hopefully these'll be all the clues you need. I wish I could be more specific.
Attachments
Weird Stairs near the caves
Weird Stairs near the caves
NEWBIT~6.JPG (96.86 KiB) Viewed 6359 times
Basin Spring Park, I think
Basin Spring Park, I think
NEWBIT~5.JPG (62.07 KiB) Viewed 6359 times
Basin Spring Plaque
Basin Spring Plaque
NEWBIT~7.JPG (78.37 KiB) Viewed 6359 times
ricrat
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by ricrat »

Good Pics !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I live about 30 miles from Eureka, but I've not been there in a while. Back when we used to skate at basin park the cops used to keep a close eye on it. So be careful.
If you don't know where you are going, how will you know when you get there ?
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

I must also say be careful about to much exporation around Basin Park. I've been to Eureka Springs off and on over the years and it's a neat place. I can't tell you much about the springs, except that if you ask around you can get a map with a lot of them marked. It's part of the tourism. The weird stair casses... Those are part of the Basin Park Hotel next to Basin Park. If you do some research online about the hotel, you will find some interesting facts such as Riply's Believe it or not (the original Mr. Riply) put it on his believe it or not list because every floor exited at ground level... look behind the hotel, every exit behind it has a ramp going into the hill... that's why the stairs were placed where they are. Also if you go in in the mornings and ask they will take you to their breakfast cafe that is back into the side of the bluff. It's quite awsome. My girlfriend and I had breakfast there our last day of our trip this past summer. Needless to say there are all sorts of ghost tours and other things to do there so if your interested, there's that as well. Also I will mention that the hotel was used by a lot of gangsters back in the 1920's and 1930's.
David Keetz
Mercurial Disciple
Mercurial Disciple

Post by David Keetz »

The basin park drain uber hard to get into. ...you have to be skinny...but it basically opens up into two split off drains underneath the park....i have yet to explore these..but i'm thinking about it very very soon....

i also know of a way underneath the sidewalks and crap...but it's a closet inthe back of a cocktail bar....getting in was hard and getting kicked out was easy
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Re: RE: Eureka Springs

Post by White Rabbit »

David Keetz wrote:The basin park drain uber hard to get into. ...you have to be skinny...but it basically opens up into two split off drains underneath the park....i have yet to explore these..but i'm thinking about it very very soon....
I've wanted to do that one, too. Every time I've ever seen it, though, it's had a steady flow of water coming out of it.
Gatsby
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Gatsby »

The basin park drain uber hard to get into. ...you have to be skinny...but it basically opens up into two split off drains underneath the park....i have yet to explore these..but i'm thinking about it very very soon....
I happen to be very skinny...

Ive been a little ways into this one. It takes one turn to the right, goes for a ways and then turns left and opens up condiderably. At the first left turn is a small and low chamber with an inverted well (my own term I don't really know what they're called) In the spot you can hear a kind of muffled dripping water, but can't see where it's coming from (A concealed chamber?)

You then keep following the crawl tube which will take you into a largish chamber that you can fit about twenty people in (high ceililng and all). The crawl tube continues, but I haven't gone past that point yet.
I refuse to answer that question on the basis that I don't know the answer.
David Keetz
Mercurial Disciple
Mercurial Disciple

Re: Eureka Springs

Post by David Keetz »

i'd be willing to go further......just trying to find someone else ballsy and skinny enough to keep going through that tunnel.

there's another tunnel i've gone a considerable distance in but it was just about as small and i got this fear that i might run into an animal......and i didn't have gloves and i had my arms behind me instead of in front....

so i backed all the way out and i haven't gone back since.
I think something clever is supposed to go right here.
junkman306
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by junkman306 »

You'll have to take pics for the fat guys like me.
What's the point of making a point if the point you are trying to make is pointless? Do you get my point?
arkie 123
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by arkie 123 »

Grotto Spring, Here in Eureka has a cave system. Not sure how far back it goes. Across from the Basin Spring. If you look you can tell the sidewalk there is above another one down below. The street used to be lower. Walk along that sidewalk and you will see some clear glass blocks in the walk. They give light to the one below. There is suppose to be a tunnel to the Basin Park Hotel under Spring Street.
Spinner
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Spinner »

You guys ever been through the tunnel under the Crescent? It allegedly comes out down by the old public library.