Urban exploration in Arkansas
gnomad1
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Whippoorwill - I finally found it.

Post by gnomad1 »

Imagewc - no props by Gnomad 1, on Flickr
Whippoorwill Cave
On the first day of 2019, approximately 3 years after this search began... it has come to an end. My good buddy and I were exploring the Mcllroy Management area, like we do every 1-2 months, looking for any signs of our prize. We would find springs and follow them back to the source to see if any of them led us to what we were looking for. I don't know how many hours I've spent out there walking around and on here researching but it all came together today. We were on the 5th or 6th spring (collectively) and I crested the little hill in front of the entrance and stopped dead in my tracks. I had memorized that view of the wet entrance and I knew exactly what it was the moment I saw it. I grabbed my phone to compare the picture with what I was looking at and sure enough, it was it. I can't explain the excitement I had after years of working to find it, it finally happened. On the first day of 2019, I found my prize. What a start to the new year.

I know there will be people asking for the coordinates but I will not be posting them or giving them away. I have spent a lot of time and hard work finding this cave and I value that search and discovery. BUT what I will do (and have always done on here) is trade the coordinates for coordinates to somewhere else (of high value) that you have spent time and effort to find. That way, we both win and we both don't give away our hard earned finds for nothing. I don't mean to be stingy but I think this helps keep the community close-knit and it ensures everyone trading coords is an active member and actively exploring.

Cheers to 2019
Last edited by gnomad1 on Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Re: I finally found it.

Post by Nicotti »

You didn't mention the cave's name.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
Chris
King of the Man Bugs!
King of the Man Bugs!

Post by Chris »

I don't need to know what it's called, where it is, etc...

I'm just curious....what's the inside like? Big/small? How far back does it go? Any photos?
Headframe Hunters
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by Headframe Hunters »

Always good to find something, especially after that long! I can relate - there are a few mines that it took a year or two for me to pin down their location.
In loving memory of Nichole - 12/4/1996 -- 12/1/2017

https://headframehunters.blogspot.com/
gnomad1
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

RE: I finally found it.

Post by gnomad1 »

Nicotti - Whippoorwill

Chris - I wasn't able to explore it yesterday because I didn't have all my gear with me but here's the cave map
http://i.imgur.com/AhfDQ.jpg

HeadframeHunters - It was an incredible feeling. A lot of hard work went into finding it and in the end it all came down to blind luck. Now all that's left is to explore it then find the next one
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Re: Whippoorwill - I finally found it.

Post by Nicotti »

Oh good! Now you can get all the PMs from randos looking for the location, rather than me. I was there once a decade ago people! I don't remember where it is.

I've never seen the stream entrance only the dug in one (Sassafras).

-Ayn Rand
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

Be careful in the spaghetti bowl area, even with the map it's easy to get turned around. Multiple passages on multiple levels all interconnecting. I remember laying down on a rock to rest and then looking in a nearby hole only to realized the rock I'd laid on was only about 2"-3" thick and over a 30' pit.

-Ayn Rand
Chris
King of the Man Bugs!
King of the Man Bugs!

Re: RE: I finally found it.

Post by Chris »

gnomad1 wrote:Nicotti - Whippoorwill

Chris - I wasn't able to explore it yesterday because I didn't have all my gear with me but here's the cave map
http://i.imgur.com/AhfDQ.jpg

HeadframeHunters - It was an incredible feeling. A lot of hard work went into finding it and in the end it all came down to blind luck. Now all that's left is to explore it then find the next one
That is one badass cave!!
gnomad1
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

RE: Whippoorwill - I finally found it.

Post by gnomad1 »

Nicotti - Thanks for the heads up. Do you remember any signs I can be on the lookout to make sure I don't end up on top of it?

Chris - I am beyond excited to finally experience it after spending so much time reading about other people's trips in it.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

I'd say just bring a compass and the cave map along in a water proof bag. That'll help keep you orientated. And stay away from the edges, as they could be thinner than expected.

All I really remember of the area is that the map wasn't super helpful for it. Also, I was with people that had been there many times before.

All the tall, straight passages were pretty easy to traverse, basically walking in the bottom of canyons.

If you haven't located the Sassafras entrance yet, I'd recommend doing so. It's hard to see on the map but the water crawl at the Whippoorwill entrance says .4' air over 2' water. (Not 4 feet .4 feet average) Walking the Sassafras is way easier and less cold.

-Ayn Rand
gnomad1
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by gnomad1 »

Thanks for the advice.

I definitely planned on bringing the cave map and a compass.
I've got both entrances located but our plan was to go in Sassafras and exit Whippoorwill.

None of my group has any experience in Whippoorwill so that should make for a good, safe time.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

Awesome!

Take plenty of pictures and post them for us! I have a few I scanned for online, but all my pics are on film (that's how long ago it was).

Here's my scanned pics:

Apparently it was 2004 that I was there.

That's right my caving partner was a one-armed man!

-Ayn Rand
Snoopy
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Snoopy »

That cave has some beautiful formations!
gnomad1
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

RE: Whippoorwill - I finally found it.

Post by gnomad1 »

http://www.undergroundozarks.com/forum/ ... hp?t=10370

Check the link above for my trip + pics
Eneida
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Eneida »

When you find something worthwhile it's just luck! before that, I was looking mega moolah for several years and in different States a decent mine and finally found! Hooray