Buffalo River Bat Cave

Urban exploration in Arkansas
Rimann
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Buffalo River Bat Cave

Post by Rimann »

Has anyone else explored the Bat Cave near the buffalo river in Arkansas? I went years ago when they would open it up for only a few months out of the year when the bats were away. Last I heard they had shut it up permanently until further notice. On a recent trip to The buffalo I decided to try a new trail. With an old guide book from the early 90's I hiked a new trail near Erbie and found a massive cavern way off the beaten path (comparably to Bat Cave). According to the guide book it is the longest cave system in Arkansas. And the back door to the Bat Cave. I never knew there was an alternate entrance, I've always wanted to go back and explore the bat cave more but it has been closed off. Unfortunately I didn't do much exploring inside past the first big cavern because I had two dogs with me. Neither like being inside of caves much. Has anyone else explored this cave system much?
Attachments
Entering The Cave
Entering The Cave
gnomad1
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

RE: Buffalo River Bat Cave

Post by gnomad1 »

I believe what you are referring to is Fitton (Beauty) Cave. I could be wrong.

https://www.kcgrotto.org/guano/guano200306.pdf

This is where I'm getting my info from.

Anyways, would you be willing to PM me with details of the cave you found? I would love to check it out!
rockhound92
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: Buffalo River Bat Cave

Post by rockhound92 »

I remember years back reading a thread in the Arkansas forum talking about the same thing you are. I'll dig for it and post you a link.
Boredom is the deadliest poison.
WILLIAM F. BUCKLEY, JR
rockhound92
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: Buffalo River Bat Cave

Post by rockhound92 »

Boredom is the deadliest poison.
WILLIAM F. BUCKLEY, JR