Rush, Arkansas

Urban exploration in Arkansas
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Rush, Arkansas

Post by White Rabbit »

Just wanted to show you guys what I'm putting on the site next. It's a ghost town, a mining town, on the Buffalo river here in Arkansas. Slim Jim and I went there last spring. The place is awesome. Lots of abandoned buildings, mines all over the place as well. The only reason it's not on the site yet is that it was getting dark toward the end of our trip there and a lot of the mine pictures didn't turn out so hot. So, in the next few days I'm going to drive back down to Rush and get better pictures of the mines (and hopefully get into a few of the big ones).

Check it out:

http://www.uncwil.edu/earsci/RushArk/
dogpatchexpert
Someone Say Dogpatch?
Someone Say Dogpatch?

RE: Rush, Arkansas

Post by dogpatchexpert »

I have never heard of that place but it sound cool cant wait for the pics
Dogpatch Expert
travcojim
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by travcojim »

If you need any help over at Rush let me know a few days ahead of time. I go over there quite a bit. The trails that lead to alot of the mines are great. Be careful in some of them if you get in there, a few of the floors drop off fast!!!! And its a long ways down...
While your in the area, go up to Rockhouse, near Buffalo Point.
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

is it hard to get into?? is there any security? is it hard to find can you go into the mines? I am guessing that is not a good idea but it sounds like a awesome place to ue
Sleep is a waste of time,you can sleep when you are dead
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Re: RE: Rush, Arkansas

Post by White Rabbit »

travcojim wrote:If you need any help over at Rush let me know a few days ahead of time. I go over there quite a bit. The trails that lead to alot of the mines are great. Be careful in some of them if you get in there, a few of the floors drop off fast!!!! And its a long ways down... While your in the area, go up to Rockhouse, near Buffalo Point.
I'm probably going in the morning, which I imagine is probably too short of notice. Just decided on the spur tonight to go abou dawn. Probably hit a bunch of the old mines in Marion county while I'm out, and the Dodd City schoolhouse. What brings you all the way to Rush for so often? Just the hiking? What's at Rockhouse also?

We'll definitely have to hook up and check out some stuff. Is there anything worth seeing in that Weddington place out beside you? I've meant to drive around it a bit next time I was out there.
ropingk wrote:is it hard to get into?? is there any security? is it hard to find can you go into the mines? I am guessing that is not a good idea but it sounds like a awesome place to ue
Nah, no security. It's just a historical site at this point. You can pretty much wander around there as you see fit, although they have signs saying not to enter the buildings or mines. Some of the bigger mines have big bars over the entrances, though.
travcojim
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by travcojim »

I like to get over to the Rush area to check out all the old mines and whats left of the old buildings.. There has been a problem of people wanting to burn some of the old places there at rush, I can't figure out what thrill they get out of it. But if you go you will see a place that was just burt in the last month or so. When I was there the yellow tape was still there so it hasn't been that long ago. As far as the Weddington area close to me, there is mostly lots of trails and backroads over there. If you are looking for something to check out in this area that I don't think many people know about, just north of Eureka Springs, past Holiday Island is an old railroad tunnel that sits off in the woods, you can't walk all the way thru it now due to alot of water in the middle, but it is a cool area to explore in. If you walk to the other end of the old railbed there is the remains of an old trestle that used to cross the area. Not sure if your into Geocaching but there is a cache there at the old tunnel. The first time I went out to it the maps didn't show a road so I walked it, but since have found the road that goes to it and can now drive almost to it.
If you know of any good mines or old places around Rush let me know. Always on the lookout for cool places.
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

travcojim wrote:But if you go you will see a place that was just burt in the last month or so. When I was there the yellow tape was still there so it hasn't been that long ago.
Yeah, that tape was still there, and I was there about a week ago.
If you are looking for something to check out in this area that I don't think many people know about, just north of Eureka Springs, past Holiday Island is an old railroad tunnel that sits off in the woods, you can't walk all the way thru it now due to alot of water in the middle, but it is a cool area to explore in. If you walk to the other end of the old railbed there is the remains of an old trestle that used to cross the area.
Sounds like a great place to try out my new chest-high waders :) Is the old trestle you're talking about... Is that the remains of that bridge that goes across the water at Beaver? There's some kind of old bridge there that goes across the water. Seems like someone told me there was a tunnel back there if you could get across. Is that the same place?
If you know of any good mines or old places around Rush let me know. Always on the lookout for cool places.
If you look on Terraserver around Pyatt and Zinc, there's a bunch of good mines in Marion county and Boone. There's also a pretty awesome old school house in Dodd City.
travcojim
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by travcojim »

No, not the same trestle, this one sits back in the woods... No lake near by. You have to take a small county road back to it, and then walk about 1/4 mile to the actual trestle. 90% of it is still there. I know the trestle you are talking about on Beaver lake, it is near the little town of Beaver.
BRANDOFLUCK
I Need A Title!
I Need A Title!

Post by BRANDOFLUCK »

I was in Rush on Friday, April 4th. A buddy and I were looking for a way into the mines. We only found one spot. On the clabber creak trail there is a large tank connected to a big tractor looking pump. The mines further up the trail are guarded by a chain link fence. We jumped the fence (you could go around), someone or something had dug underneath one of the giant iron gates. We could get in but it was allready getting dark and we plan to go back and explore it later.

Also did you see the abandoned houses and rv trailer down by the creak just below the clabber creak trail. Talk about Deliverance!

We also talked to a park ranger down there as we were leaving, she said that the mines are off limits but there are thousands of caves all around that are open to the public. That doesn't make much sense to me, it is still a hole in the ground, maybe because of stability issues.
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

When it comes to mines vs. caves, mines are a liability becasue they are man made. Caves are natural so it's a kind of enter at own risk... if someone gets hurt in a mine, they can sue and 99% of the time win. If someone gets hurt in a cave, it's their own damn fault and they shouldn't have been rubbing nature the wrong way... most judges won't take a case like that.
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

BRANDOFLUCK wrote:The mines further up the trail are guarded by a chain link fence. We jumped the fence (you could go around), someone or something had dug underneath one of the giant iron gates.
There's another one right near there, way up on the bluff above that trail, that you can get into. Also, another one way back where the road is, but it's WAY down the on the mountain.
Also did you see the abandoned houses and rv trailer down by the creak just below the clabber creak trail. Talk about Deliverance!
Yeah. That was weird. I don't really know what was up with all that stuff.