Locomotive from 1855 train wreck in Gasconade,MO

Urban exploration in Missouri
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Locomotive from 1855 train wreck in Gasconade,MO

Post by 81k »

In the town of Gasconade,MO at the mouth of the Gasconade River and the Missouri, the water is low enough right now to see what's left of the steam locomotive that went in the river on November 1, 1855. You can see it from the boat ramp on the opposite side river downstream. It is accessible only by boat or canoe because it is private heavily posted property. Not really awwhole lot to see, but definitely neat if youre nearby. The story surrounding the whole accident, is a series of very unfortunate events. PMme for aNY info or questions.
archinstl
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

RE: Locomotive from 1855 train wreck in Gasconade,MO

Post by archinstl »

Chris
King of the Man Bugs!
King of the Man Bugs!

Re: Locomotive from 1855 train wreck in Gasconade,MO

Post by Chris »

Listen, I know everyone wants to think this is a locomotive boiler, but it isn't.

It's hard to judge the size, but it APPEARS way too big. It's totally the wrong shape, the firebox is all wrong. It isn't narrowed to fit between the wheels as the mud ring is ABOVE the bottom of the boiler barrel. That feature is never seen on locomotive boilers from ANY era.

Typical 1840s-1870s locomotive. Note the abrupt taper between the firebox and boiler barrel. Note the length of the boiler relative to it's length.

Note how deep the firebox is? On the river boiler the mud ring is ABOVE the bottom of the boiler barrel!

See how the bottom of the firebox narrows down? This is so it can feet between the wheels, above the frame rails.

This is the front of the Gasconade boiler. What is going on with the front end? Where the front tube sheet would normally be, we have a rolled-in edge and notice the last course is stayed. I have no idea what this is - because it is NOT a locomotive boiler feature.

Highly, highly unlikely.
Last edited by Chris on Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Re: Locomotive from 1855 train wreck in Gasconade,MO

Post by Nicotti »

More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand