Abandoned bridges

Urban exploration in Missouri
JBSlarti
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: Abandoned bridges

Post by JBSlarti »

I got to visit a good old abandoned 100+ year old truss bridge a few times within the last year. It was the Humphrey’s Access Bridge over the Platte River in rural Platte County, Missouri, just north of Kansas City. I work for a local newspaper and so got to go out to it on the clock. Heh-heh. The county built a huge replacement for it a couple hundred yards downstream and I had to cover the construction so I managed to sneak off to the old bridge to take some photos. It was torn down unceremoniously in late summer/early fall and I was plenty pissed when it was, especially since we were supposed to get a heads up so we could take photos of the demolition.

Apparently it was quite the party spot for years, and so many people hung out around it the county finally took the decking off to discourage visitors. It was a cool old thing, and there were lots of interesting things under it too. I found a whole car half buried in the mud right below it.

I’ll have to dig those photos out, upload them and post a link.
bugo
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Re: Abandoned bridges

Post by bugo »

Damnit, they tore it down. When I lived in KC, I noted something suspicious on a map, and lo and behold, found the derilict truss.

There is an abandoned truss in Johnson County, MO near Warrensburg that has part of the approach span missing.
piplnr65656
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: Abandoned bridges

Post by piplnr65656 »

If you are looking for old abandoned bridges the 2nd hooten town bridge is off in the woods close by. They just drug the dridge off of its supports off into a field and trees grew up around it. The original hooten town bridge was moved and became the mccall bridge. The old abanoned Y bridge in galena is cool if you are into old bridges.
JBSlarti
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: Abandoned bridges

Post by JBSlarti »

Yep, it was torn down not that long ago. It's was a neat old thing, so it's a pity it's gone. Platte County tore down another historic bridge a couple years ago. It was one of the last remaining bridges in the old Interurban train line that ran between KC and St. Joe.