700+ High-res MO cave maps from MDNR - Torrent

Urban exploration in Missouri
jjjjjjjijjjjjjj
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

700+ High-res MO cave maps from MDNR - Torrent

Post by jjjjjjjijjjjjjj »

Found this and had to share.

700+ high-res cave maps for several counties in Missouri.

Link to the full spreadsheet of caves covered:
http://goo.gl/3XIgA

Here's the link to the torrent file; total download is in the neighborhood of 500mb:
http://thepiratebay.se/torrent/8060893

Please help me out and seed/share distribute. Also: if anyone knows of any similar resources for other Missouri counties (esp the St Louis area), I'd be very thankful if you'd share them.

Description from the original text file:
This CD includes cave maps on file with the Missouri Department of Natural Resources for the specified counties as of August 15, 2005. Maps that are part of individual cave files and not recorded with the map files have not been included.

The maps on this CD were created by many different authors. They include employees of government agencies, the Cave Research Foundation, the Missouri Speleological Survey and its affiliated grottos and members, and many independent cavers. The authors are identified in the titling on the maps and in the map index. Many of the maps are copyrighted and should not be reproduced for distribution or publication without permission of the author. Please respect all of the authors and credit their work if the maps are used in any publication.

File names consist of the Missouri Speleological Survey accession number, followed by the date, and then page numbers and letters if the map was scanned or mapped in segments. Maps that were scanned in sections were not pieced back together and must be spliced by the user if so desired.

Individuals or groups who use these maps to visit the caves are expected to respect the caves and the property owners. Care should be taken to not damage the cave or its contents and permission should always be obtained before visiting a cave. Many of the caves are seasonally closed to protect endangered species and/or are gated. Cave locations are not included on this CD. Locations must be obtained from the Missouri Speleological Survey or one of its affiliated grottos (www.mospeleo.org).

The maps on this CD were scanned and edited for alignment and image quality by Phillip Streamer, Missouri Department of Natural Resources, Geological Survey and Resource Assessment Division, Rolla, MO. The CD was originally compiled by Hal Baker with additional editing and file naming by Tom Clifton and Hal Baker, Missouri Caves and Karst Conservancy. This file was updated in August 2005 by Tim Bixler and Jeff Crews.
Sample Images (10% of original size):

"You take delight not in a city's seven or seventy wonders, but in the answer it gives to a question of yours. Or the question it asks you, forcing you to answer, like Thebes through the mouth of the Sphinx." –I. Calvino, Invisible Cities
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: 700+ High-res MO cave maps from MDNR - Torrent

Post by SubLunar »

Another top notch contribution. Thank you, sir.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Re: 700+ High-res MO cave maps from MDNR - Torrent

Post by Nicotti »

Are these all sw mo caves? Cause I already have that disc.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
jjjjjjjijjjjjjj
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Nicotti wrote:Are these all sw mo caves? Cause I already have that disc.
I believe so. Are there more discs to the set? I'd be very glad to have them, if so.

The counties covered by this disc:
Barry, Barton, Benton, Christian, Dade, Dallas, Douglas, Greene, Hickory, Jackson, Jasper, Johnson, Lawrence, McDonald, Newton, Ozark, Pettis, Polk, St Clair, Stone, Taney, Vernon, Webster, Wright.
"You take delight not in a city's seven or seventy wonders, but in the answer it gives to a question of yours. Or the question it asks you, forcing you to answer, like Thebes through the mouth of the Sphinx." –I. Calvino, Invisible Cities
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

Yeah, the Mo DNR sells them at $26 a piece.

http://www.missourigeologystore.com/pro ... =31&page=1

-Ayn Rand
jjjjjjjijjjjjjj
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Anybody got any of the others? How many more are there?
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

There's 6 cds total, 5 regions in mo and a disc of 2002-2005 updates for all the regions.

-Ayn Rand
jjjjjjjijjjjjjj
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Nicotti wrote:There's 6 cds total, 5 regions in mo and a disc of 2002-2005 updates for all the regions.
If anyone has any of the others, I'd be glad to set up some FTP space for upload. I could then torrent them to make them available.

I went ahead and ordered the "Missouri River Region" disc (covering STL, the St Francois Mts, and out to Columbia), and will post that to this thread and over on the STL board whenever they come.

Anyone have any of the other 5 discs? Pretty amazing resource.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

Yeah, a nice thing is a small percentage of the maps show topo overlays on them, that makes it easier to figure out where they are. I found Low Water Bridge cave that way. :)

-Ayn Rand
jjjjjjjijjjjjjj
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Yeah, the topo overlays are fantastic. And you're right; I wish more of the maps had them.

Some that don't will still list the PLSS location, though, which will get you to within a football field or so.

If you haven't already, learning to read PLSS notation is handy. It's a bit confusing at first, but once you have the basics it's pretty simple.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

Yah, I know it. I used to do Cadastral Mapping.

-Ayn Rand
critter
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by critter »

Sweet. Years ago, someone put a link in the UO forum to these maps. I downloaded them and since then, my files became corrupt and I lost most of the maps. I tried to search the forums for the link but no success. Thanks for posting.

And the spreadsheet is very helpful.
Twail Wetard
The Clit Commander
The Clit Commander

Post by Twail Wetard »

The old file was deleted for a copyright infringement I think
THE THREAD KILLER!
Polymathic
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Polymathic »

This file has no seeders anymore. =(
Something Something Something...Dark Side.
torik
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by torik »

jjjjjjjijjjjjjj, I have the Central Region CD. If you can set up the FTP, it's yours. However, I'm a little disappointed that the previous two torrents appear to have been abandoned.