Cassville Deer Park

Urban exploration in Missouri
slow_walker
Shyest Street Sofa Champion Ever!

Cassville Deer Park

Post by slow_walker »

I had posted this inside another thread back in August, 2006. Since we've gotten some new members and since I am still unable to find information on it, I thought I would resurface it.

slow_walker wrote:In Barry County between Roaring River and Cassville, MO there was a little place called Deer Park that I loved going to as a kid. It was basically like a little petting zoo built in among some trees and you could buy waffle cones filled with animal food and walk through the paths and feed deer, rabbits, etc.

They also had several buildings that you could explore to show you what life was like in the old days. There was a general store/ post office, a log cabin with a loft so you could see where the kids used to sleep on straw-filled mattresses. Another building or two of the same type, I don't remember exactly what they were. And they even had a grave marker with a funny saying on it and a pair of boots sticking out of the ground there.

Sounds pretty lame now I guess, but as a kid I loved going there every chance I got. It has been abandoned for years now, but everytime I drive by it I still remember how fun it was. It's funny that I never thought about taking pictures of it until I became involved in this website. Now I can't wait for fall so I can get some pics. There won't be any from inside any of the buildings though, because when you pull in and park you go to the petting zoo on the right and the buildings are on the left and straight off the end of the parking lot is a house where I am assuming the owners live. There's always lights on and cars there. So, I might not even get any outside pics. But I'm gonna try.

Has anyone else heard of this place or been there? I've been searching all over the internet, but have found nothing.
Since this was posted originally, I have gone by and taken a few pictures. The are on a disk at home, I will try to get them uploaded this week. The problem I'm having with research is that when you try to find "deer park" near roaring river or cassville all you get is pages and pages of seeing deer in Roaring River Park. Normally I have mad google skillz, but this one's whipping me. Maybe there is no info on it... but that would be sad.

Also, since the owners live right there on the land it seems like it may be easy enough just to roll up in there and ask them for some history on it and permission to look around. But I'm too shy... so if any of you want to come down and ask for me, that would be great.
Kit
The Woman
The Woman

Re: Cassville Deer Park

Post by Kit »

Kit wrote:I am old
slow_walker

Post by slow_walker »

Thx for looking Kit, but neither of those are it. I am familiar with both of those locations already. The place I'm talking about is abandoned, has been abandoned for probably 20 years or so. And it served no other function other than being a little walk through park full of animals and those 3 tiny log cabins set up to look like the old days. No cabins for people to stay in or anything. Basically I'm just hoping someone close to my age is from around the area and remembers more about it than i do.
Kit
The Woman
The Woman

Post by Kit »

send the owner a letter?
Kit wrote:I am old
the_p0ssum
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Post by the_p0ssum »

Can you post a shot from Google or Bing maps of the location?
slow_walker

RE: Cassville Deer Park

Post by slow_walker »

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source= ... 8&t=h&z=14

If you zoom in on the "B" marker here, the Deer Park is located in the clump of trees to the west. It's on Hwy 112 as you're heading towards Roaring River, just past the Cassville Golf Course and and the west side of the hwy right before Hwy AA intersects.
cousin
400+ Poster
400+ Poster

Post by cousin »

I go by there quite often, dad's lake house is actually just a little past the deer run cabins. I remember a bit about it, what would you like to know?
slow_walker

Post by slow_walker »

I'm just trying to remember if it was actually called "Deer Park" and maybe find out who did own it, who owns it now, how long was it opened, when did it close. Basic info like that. I seriously went there hundreds of times as a kid, but of course never paid any attention to it. I would just love to be able to dig up some photos of the place and maybe be allowed to take some photos of it in it's current state.
the_p0ssum
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Post by the_p0ssum »

I sent a quick note to the Cassville Chamber of Commerce, but they had no info on it. They just noted they now have the Promised Land Zoo in the area...

Also, did find some old photos on a Barry County Rootsweb site. There are quite a few, and it's slow going, but you never know -- might be a pic in there somewhere --> Click Here
cousin
400+ Poster
400+ Poster

Post by cousin »

i don't remember the exact name, but it was Roaring River something or other... Dad's out of town I think he's back next week, will ask when I see him.
tinmann620@yahoo.com
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by tinmann620@yahoo.com »

While you're discussing Cassville, Does anyone have info, location, or pics of the Electric Park that was there?
slow_walker

Post by slow_walker »

No, I have actually never heard of it. Do you know like what time period it existed?
tinmann620@yahoo.com
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by tinmann620@yahoo.com »

Roughly the turn of the century, when "trolley parks" were at their height. I've seen copies of old documents mentioning the rail line running down to Electric Park in Cassville, at the same time there were Electric Parks all over the USA. I'm assuming any evidence would be along former, or existing, rails.
slow_walker

Post by slow_walker »

I have a history of Barry County book at home, when i get a chance I'll start digging through it.
blackout
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by blackout »

dont know when ill be around cassville again but i would be willing to ask for permission. i think my parents took me there when i was little. pretty sure that there is another place kind of like it near or on table rock lake. have to ask my parents about it. :?:
Zombie Hunter....