Rolla, MO??

Urban exploration in Missouri
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Re: Rolla, MO??

Post by mindwaave »

Some info and some more info on the kind of junk in the storage basement.

This article talks about the recent fire. It explains why there are currently holes in the sides of the building, and why the ceiling is now sagging. It also says "risk of contaminates entering the stormwater system," which may or may not confirm the rumored existence of some tunnels that exist nearby.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Re: RE: Rolla, MO??

Post by Nicotti »

SubLunar wrote:
torik wrote:I took a picture of PANIC's butt.
Who hasn't?
I'm pretty sure I have one where he's crawling over a door into a certain hotel.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
lolabelle
Cursed With Hotness
Cursed With Hotness

Post by lolabelle »

Rolla's (or maybe that section of Modot's) road clearing plan during "blizzard like conditions" is deplorable. We drove from St Louis to Spfd Sunday morning, starting at 8:30 am. BY FAR, we saw worse road conditions and more wrecks in the Rolla area. That drive took us 6.5 hours, yay. I think it was even somewhere near Rolla that we saw a Modot snow plow rolled over in the ditch.
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis
Location: I am everywhere and nowhere, especially in Missouri

Post by PANIC! on the Titanic »

lolabelle wrote:Rolla's (or maybe that section of Modot's) road clearing plan during "blizzard like conditions" is deplorable. We drove from St Louis to Spfd Sunday morning, starting at 8:30 am. BY FAR, we saw worse road conditions and more wrecks in the Rolla area. That drive took us 6.5 hours, yay. I think it was even somewhere near Rolla that we saw a Modot snow plow rolled over in the ditch.
Your observations are right on. I've had to drive that stretch between Rolla and Newburg, as well as the rolla streets each day since the snowfall, including while it was still happening sunday evening, and it was terrifying. Just yesterday did 44 become acceptable for non 4WD vehicles to use. Ridiculous.
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Post by mindwaave »

Yeah, from what I've heard, MoDOT sucks up there.
Preservation over plunder.
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis

mindwaave wrote:Yeah, from what I've heard, MoDOT sucks up there.
Correct.

This was at hwy V (the Hy-point exit).
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Post by crazydrummerdude »

I drove down the length of 44 through Missouri on Monday (the day after the big snow) and the worst stretch for me was the stretch by Antire Road. That got real hairy (a couple times) real fast.
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis

Hey mindwaave, found us a drain or two we'll have to check out when you get back.
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Post by mindwaave »

PANIC! on the Titanic wrote:Hey mindwaave, found us a drain or two we'll have to check out when you get back.
Sounds good to me.
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Post by mindwaave »

Preservation over plunder.
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis

I noticed that one a couple years ago whilst dicking around by the electric car (read: Drawing detailed dicks on the electric car) and noticed that thing and never did see it on geocaching.com. Apparently neither does reddit.
Eagle90
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by Eagle90 »

Anyone notice the old guy with all the old surplus stuff seems to be cleaning up the property behind Auto Zone? Looks like a bunch of the junk has been cleared out including the old steam shovel. Anyone know what's going on with that place? I'd still like to know if he really has some old armor under the building like has been posited.
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis

We never did find any armor or anything in any of several explorations of the area. There were a few army cargo trucks outside but that's about it.

The city's been on Warren Dean for a long time about cleaning up his crap. I guess he finally is.
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Post by mindwaave »

Yeah, something about the threat of a multimillion dollar lawsuit I think. I'm surprised Dean's still alive and functioning. Maybe his family is taking action.

From here:
Origins of the University watchmen date back to about 1952, and were originally part of the University's Physical Facilities Department. Some of their original duties were to check boilers, the steam tunnels, and the buildings themselves for safety hazards. Gradually the watchmen took on more and more security oriented duties. In March of 1967, the watchmen were transferred from the control of the Physical Facilities Department to the Traffic Safety & Security department. Around 1976, the "Watchman" title was changed to that of Security Guard.
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Post by mindwaave »

Some interesting background and geologic info about the TJ Residence Halls over at this site.