Lewis and Clark Cave

Urban exploration in Missouri
cherry63376
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Lewis and Clark Cave

Post by cherry63376 »

Saw the Lewis and Clark cave on the Katie trial near Rochport where Lewis and Clark left food for the trip back. There was a lot of water coming out of it making a lot of noise. It was easy to find. There also was pictagraphs written on the bluffs. Could not go in. I did not have a flashlight.

GlassCurtain
Cereal Smuggler
Cereal Smuggler

Re: Lewis and Clark Cave

Post by GlassCurtain »

That's pretty cool. where's that located at? Were you just visiting or do you live close? If you live close you should go back with flashlights, I'd be interested in seeing the inside. Do you know about how big the cave is supposed to be?
“I investigate things to complete my knowledge, my complete knowledge makes my thoughts sincere, my thoughts being sincere; my heart is pure.”

http://www.flickr.com/photos/glasscurtain/
cherry63376
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: Lewis and Clark Cave

Post by cherry63376 »

This cave is on the katie trail between rocheport and the columbia college trail intersection with the katie trail. From either starting place it is a seven mile ride on a bicycle. I am in st louis so I don't get here very often. I am guessing the cave is about the same size as cliff cave in st louis county. You can't miss the cave because there is a plack and the trail is wide there. There are also pictagliffs on the bluff above.
Esoteric
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Esoteric »

That is really cool. I read the Journals of Lewis and Clark three times now, one of the greatest true adventure stories ever.
memory_machine
Resident Douchebag
Resident Douchebag

Post by memory_machine »

They also stayed in a cave on the first leg of their journey that is near St. Charles. It's called Tavern Rock cave. I haven't had a chance to check it out yet, because it's pretty hard to get to, but there are photos you can find on the web.
the_p0ssum
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Post by the_p0ssum »

Tavern Cave is located in St. Albans. Here's a link with some good pics:

Click Here
the_p0ssum
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Post by the_p0ssum »

By the way, if you guys venture out to St. Albans, be careful of the security guys as they are not pushovers. The policy there is to hire ex military and/or LOF, and they do patrol the entire community including the new construction and out-of-the-way spots.
Esoteric
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: RE: Lewis and Clark Cave

Post by Esoteric »

memory_machine wrote:They also stayed in a cave on the first leg of their journey that is near St. Charles. It's called Tavern Rock cave. I haven't had a chance to check it out yet, because it's pretty hard to get to, but there are photos you can find on the web.
Yeah I remember from the journals it was Lewis who early on the journey tried to reach a difficult cave high on a bluff and almost fell. Maybe it was this one, I'll have to look it up.