"The Underground" in Carthage, Missouri

Urban exploration in Missouri
vapor
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: "The Underground" in Carthage, Missouri

Post by vapor »

I used to work for one of the few major companies in Carthage that had storage facilities in the underground. It really is an amazing place. The main entrance that we used when we would take items there for storage was big enough that several 18 wheelers could enter/leave side by side, and the main areas are all paved. The underground is mostly on the North side of Carthage, and extends beyond the city, and out under highway 71. If you pay attention while going down the highway you can see ventilation "stations" off to the sides. There are big fans with buildings next to them. I assume, but don't know for sure, that there is access to the underground from those points... just an assumption.

There used to be a marble quarry near that area which is where "Carthage Marble" came from... many historic buildings in the Ozarks, and other parts of the world, are supposedly built with Carthage Marble. The Courthouse in Carthage is, as well as several historic houses in the city.

Americold Logistics (as someone stated) has storage there, Leggett & Platt did (not sure now), as did Schriebers (cheese, condiments, etc). Supposedly the government stores documents or some such there (they supposedly do that in most of the "underground" locations in the US. Springfield and KC for instance).

What would be more interesting to look into is a legend that I researched when I was young. Supposedly, there is a giant, natural cave ,lake, and river system under the city... probably just south of where the carthage undergound is. A Jr. High teacher in Carthage was doing research on it at some point, and had a run in with some individuals who didn't want the area to be found... entrances were found and sealed... etc. My hunch (speculation... completely) is that some entrances were found in the basements of one or more historic homes in the city which belonged to prominant families at some point and there was probably evidence that tied them to slavery or the klan.

Whether or not any of that is true, I am not sure. I heard and read things on more than one occasion that would lead someone to believe it, but you know how small town rumors are. Carthage really is a very interesting city. The downtown area is small, but it has always been a great place to read about and explore. There are small caves all around the outskirts of town, some where civil war battles supposedly took place. There are supposedly tunnels connecting many of the more prominent houses in town. Carthage was where the rich families lived that owned many of the mines in that part of Missouri.

Just thought I would share the bits of info/gossip/non-sense that I picked up when I lived there to help fuel the curiosity :) Sorry for spelling errors :)
-=Vapor=-
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

That's awesome. Thanks for the info, vapor.

Do you happen to know the name of the Jr. High teacher?
vapor
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by vapor »

Yes I do... :)
-=Vapor=-
mad-hatter
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by mad-hatter »

Anyone ever find any more info on all this? That’s pretty interesting. I’ve been to abandoned Carthage Underground but this sounds awesome!!
DaleAndElisDad
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: "The Underground" in Carthage, Missouri

Post by DaleAndElisDad »

Is this place still available to explore?
liesreality
Official Board Stalker
Official Board Stalker

Re: "The Underground" in Carthage, Missouri

Post by liesreality »

Yes