Lone Elk Park Fenton Mo

Urban exploration in Missouri
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Lone Elk Park Fenton Mo

Post by ropingk »

Hey W/R I found the Bird thing is at Lone Elk Park and it is way cool they have close to 25 Eagles and a bunch of other odd birds most of the birds if not all the birds are ones who whave been hurt in accidents or even shot they had 7 accidents last week concerning Eagles One had to be put down but at last I heard the other 6 were recovering I have some pictures and if they come out they should be great
Lone Elk Park is the place I was telling you about with all the underground bunkers and all the wild Elk and other animals
I will post the pictures as soon as I get them
Sleep is a waste of time,you can sleep when you are dead
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

RE: Lone Elk Park Fenton Mo

Post by Willard »

That's awsome. My dad has two stuffed owls at his lake house. He had both of them stuffed back in the 1970's before they were put on the endangered species list. One is a great horned owl and the other is a snow owl. The Horned owl I believe he said he found dead in the barn at my grandparents farm in Oklahoma and the Snow owl he found on a country road near their house in Oklahoma... apperently the snow owl had been hit by a vehicle. He kept the reciepts for the taxadermy and he's glad he did because now unless you have proof that you had them stuffed before they were endagered, the fed will confinscate them and fine you big time. Anyway just thought I'd share my two cents worth. The are very beautiful birds and the way they were mounted it shows off their beauty quite nicely.
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

The Ranger at the park said that they had One Eagle that they took 24 lead pellets out of last week the bird had been shot in the head and neck area but it must have been shot at a long range and the bird is expected to fully recover and be returned to the wild If I remember this right the ranger said that if caught you could recive up to two year jail term and a find up to twohundred and fifty thousand dollars but saddly he also said that there are very few people ever caught I am hoping that the pictures are good cause thoes birds are just totaly awesone to see,
On a strange note the norm is for them to get about 3 eagles a year turned in (hitting a car, a building or getting shot) last week they had 7 which out of 7 they only had to put 1 down it was found on a frozen pond and it had a broken back also it had been there about 2 days befor any one turned it in :shock:
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

Are the birds like flying loose in there, or is it some kind of enclosure?
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

All of the birds are there beacuse they have been in some kind of accident and either cant fly or have messed up legs, althought the big birds i was watching were doing a good job of flying from one side to the other
They can not be returned to the wild the choices are to put them down or let them live here,they are either teatred (spelling) or in pens
I guess it is kinda like the Zoo only not quite as big and the whole operation is not verry big,I think they have around 25 eagles there are a bunch of diffrent kinds of Owls and some other kinds of birds,
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

Hey here are some of the pictures of the World Bird Sancturary, and then the bunkers at Lone Elk Park and also a couple well rested Bison there was actually about 8 of these huge animals,
As you can see the bunkers are Old and that viewing shelter at the begining of the park was the spotters station
Attachments
this bunker is out in the Bison area it looks like it could have been a supply station
this bunker is out in the Bison area it looks like it could have been a supply station
loneelk6.jpg (67.31 KiB) Viewed 8914 times
Not real sure what this was but there are a few of them
Not real sure what this was but there are a few of them
Lone elk1.jpg (63.99 KiB) Viewed 8914 times
loneelk5.jpg
loneelk5.jpg (56.87 KiB) Viewed 8914 times
loneelk4.jpg
loneelk4.jpg (75.64 KiB) Viewed 8914 times
They have over 25 Eagles Iam going to see if they will let me in the cage but the that may not be a good idea from what I saw they are very active and thoes claws are real sharp looking
They have over 25 Eagles Iam going to see if they will let me in the cage but the that may not be a good idea from what I saw they are very active and thoes claws are real sharp looking
loneelk3.jpg (65.38 KiB) Viewed 8914 times
I dont know what these are but there was a whold lot of them and they are very colorful
I dont know what these are but there was a whold lot of them and they are very colorful
loneelk2.jpg (65.16 KiB) Viewed 8914 times
Lots and Lots of these awesome animals
Lots and Lots of these awesome animals
loneelk7.jpg (60.69 KiB) Viewed 8914 times
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

That's pretty cool. Thanks for sharing those :)
tyler
Precocious Little Scamp
Precocious Little Scamp

Post by tyler »

Buffalo rule.
RUUEING
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by RUUEING »

Good stuff. :!: Did you have to venture out of the car to see these or are they close to the road? I never remember seeing them when I traveled through, I'll have to check it out.
Watcher
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Re: RE: Lone Elk Park Fenton Mo

Post by Watcher »

ivecomeasiam wrote:Buffalo rule.
Yeah, and they taste good too. Got beef beat all to hell.
"Oh, poor Watcher. Did your life flash before your eyes? Cuppa tea, cuppa tea, almost got shagged, cuppa tea..."
- Spike, "BTVS"
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

Hey I am back I still have some more pictures to post but been real busy--to answer your question No you dont have to get out of your car in fact the big signs say do not exit your vechiel,and a few times i have been ther they have actually blocked the road,there are big Elk ---I think I saw a moose--- tons of whitail deer
Hey the coolest part is it is free even the bird sancturary is free
the_p0ssum
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Post by the_p0ssum »

Just as an FYI, that's the World Bird Sanctuary, run by Walter Crawford. He's pretty much the authority on birds of prey, worldwide, and has been working with them for decades. I went to school with his son, and was good friends with the family. They used to have a pet, red-tailed hawk in the backyard.

Anyway, Walter is extremely nice, but not a guy I'd go trespassing on. He and his wife live at the research center, and he's an ex Green Beret from Vietnam. Just some info, before someone stumbles into the wrong area and ends up in a mess of trouble. However, I believe the sanctuary holds public shows of the birds, as well. Great way to see them up close, and without the hassle of traipsing through the woods.
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Re: Lone Elk Park Fenton Mo

Post by ropingk »

it not a problem going there and really there is noting to gain and really no where to trepress unless you just want to go to the woods and they have hiking trails there 8) At Lone Elk you really dont need to get out of your car i guess some might decide to pet a animal but hey that is up to you :shock:
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Re: Lone Elk Park Fenton Mo

Post by BROUSER »

I don't recommend petting buffalo. Per the literature at Yellowstone, "More guests have been killed by charging bison than by all other animals (including snakes, mountain lions, bears, etc.) combined." Stupid guests.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
Mindscape
The Leprechaun
The Leprechaun

Post by Mindscape »

Remember that a bison is essentially an ultra-powered deer. They look big and slow, but they can MOVE. A bison can clear a six-foot fence from a standing start. People see them and think "cow," and since cows are, for the most part, big, dumb, and docile, they wander up to pet the bison. Bison do not equal dumb or docile, and some people tend to find that out the hard way.
"I'm going deeper underground.
There's too much panic in this town."