Hootentown Natural Arch

Urban exploration in Missouri
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Re: Hootentown Natural Arch

Post by White Rabbit »

The James is definitely too low in parts to float right now. I'd really like to do the Buffalo sometime, but I doubt everyone would come that far.
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

I WOULD. I haven't floated much on the Buffalo below Pruitt, I usually try to get down there when the water is high enough to float from Ponca. My dream is to one day float from Ponca to the White River in one trip.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

White Rabbit wrote:The James is definitely too low in parts to float right now. I'd really like to do the Buffalo sometime, but I doubt everyone would come that far.
I'd go.. I haven't been on a float trip since I was in Boy Scouts.
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

Oddly enough, I couldn't find any pictures of the Hootentown/Hootontown/James River/Hurley Arch online anywhere. I say pictures, but I should say photos. I did find one picture.
To give proper credit, this is the website. Kind of an interesting site in and of itself.
http://www.jimmccord.com/dew.htm
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
Jeff Stalnaker
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: Hootentown Natural Arch

Post by Jeff Stalnaker »

I tried to get directions to the arch from a person at Hootentown Canoe Rental. However, the person was rude and would not tell me. I tried to contact the columnist at the Springfield News-Leader who referred someone to the rental place in her "Answers" column, but so far I have received no reply.
I don't know why they're being so rude about this arch.
I would like to see it in person, too.
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

Should have offered a case of Milwaukee's Best or some meth. Would have been friendlier.
― Ken Ham
slow_walker
Shyest Street Sofa Champion Ever!
Shyest Street Sofa Champion Ever!

Post by slow_walker »

BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

I'm going to go look today. I have to take some furniture to my sis-in-laws in Highlandville, and I always go thru Hootentown anyway.
― Ken Ham
lukepuke
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by lukepuke »

yeah ive been ther a bunch of times its one of the coolest places ever. i just hate it when jerks gotta graffitti up the place
cobcob
Aequitas
Aequitas

Post by cobcob »

HOLY THREAD NECRO BATMAN!!
GlassCurtain wrote:I like to masturbate during the sexual harassment films at work.
Pinkspider wrote:check here for geeky crotch eating goodness and crazy fake ass hair
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

Shoulda waited 2 more months... now that woulda been a comeback!
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
DigitalNinja
400+ Poster
400+ Poster

Post by DigitalNinja »

I wonder if that's the same natural bridge as the one I found just past the fork in the James and Finely river... Sounds bigger than the one I saw. and if my vague memory serves me correctly the one I'm talking about was perched on the side of a cliff overlooking the James river in Jamesville. I'm sure I could find it again, I used to live close by.
RV driver
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by RV driver »

I'm interested in the arch, as well. I looked at the spot on Google Maps, according to three good sources, and in the photo, you can see a canoe on the river clear as day, but there is no natural bridge crossing the river at any point near Hooten Town, or near the "hound's nose" bend of the river. Is this just a bunch of hooey? Because you'd think a natural arch that size would clearly show in the satellite photo...

Does the arch cross the river, or is it along the bank? Which side of the river -- east or west? The info indicates west...
RV driver
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by RV driver »

Found it!
Go to Google Maps -- input "Hooten town, MO." back off the aspect until you see the outline of the hound's nose bend. Just south of the tip of the nose, between the tip and the "chin," is where you're looking for. Just west of the river, and north of the southward bend of Wake Robin Rd, pan in and you'll see a white "scar" in the trees, across the river from the southern tip of a gravel bar. That's the arch.

There are good directions at http://thelibrary.org/lochist/periodica ... 9/F63c.htm.