Dinky's and Reed Springs Junction on US 160 and old 13

Urban exploration in Missouri
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

RE: Dinky's and Reed Springs Junction on US 160 and old 13

Post by Sertile »

Okay guys, stupid question. I actually feel really silly asking this, but can someone please tell me where Dinky's is in relation to some of the other more obvious landmarks in Reed Springs? I ask because I haven't been there in years, I went today, and I subsequently wasted a couple hours of my life and a quarter tank of gas getting there, driving around, and then coming home empty-handed. Seems that, although having been there twice before, I've completely forgotten where it is.

And I did notice the Museum of the Unexplained was closed, which is a shame. The bus was still there, though.
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Re: RE: Dinky's and Reed Springs Junction on US 160 and old

Post by White Rabbit »

Sertile wrote:Okay guys, stupid question. I actually feel really silly asking this, but can someone please tell me where Dinky's is in relation to some of the other more obvious landmarks in Reed Springs? I ask because I haven't been there in years, I went today, and I subsequently wasted a couple hours of my life and a quarter tank of gas getting there, driving around, and then coming home empty-handed. Seems that, although having been there twice before, I've completely forgotten where it is.
Nah, actually, it's not your fault. Since they finished putting 13 through there to Branson West, that whole little area there is changed around now.

I think it's still located on the little stretch of 248 that runs between what is now 413 and 13. It's pretty easy to miss the turn on 13, though.

If you can't find it, get to Reeds Spring and go north on 413 out of town like you're going to Galena. Right before you get out of town, there'll be a three way stop with a turn on your right. Go right and that's the little stretch of 248 that Dinky's is on, way at the end near 13.
And I did notice the Museum of the Unexplained was closed, which is a shame. The bus was still there, though.
Yeah, it's been closed for a few months at least. I emailed Ted (he was on the board of directors) about it today.
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

I hate to say this WB, but your directions are rather outdated... the part of the old highway that Dinky's is no is now a dead end. You need to take the US160 turn off right by Spanks Erotic Dancers (what a land mark huh?). Then you'll come to a 3 way intersection with an old motel court to the left and an abandoned gas station to the right... this is Reed Springs Junction not Reed Springs... the old turn off for Reed Springs is to the right after the abandoned gas station. There's a picture of said gas station in the begining of this thread. Anyway go down that road just after the gas station... it's now a dead end... Dinky's will be on your right. (it sits on the top of a hill surrounded with overgrowth)
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

Yeah, Willard's right. It's on the part of 248 they made a dead end out of when the put the new highway through there. It's within walking distance of Reeds Spring Junction though, so you shouldn't have to look too hard.

I still can't visualize that area with the new changes, even though I could drive right up to Dinky's.
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

Okay, thanks guys. I didn't realize how much the roads had changed, and I got really turned around. I'll probably try it again this weekend.
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

They've only had the roads like that for the past year or so... not very long.

White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

All you guys that are oddly attached to Dinky's will be happy to know I went by there the other day and shot up some pictures, and it will be going on the site when I get around to it. :P
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

Who knew when I created this thread that so many people would post... 3 pages worth... who knew?

White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

Okay, I'm getting lazier with my research lately, but Dinky's isn't exactly something I can go to the library for or Google up. So, uh, what do we know in the way of facts about Dinky's Diner?
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

Not much... most likely research will have to be done in the county it's located in (I can't remember if it's Stone or Taney County). The librarys there would most likely have old newspaper articals and there may be records of it other places. As far as finding information about it at our own library, it will be minimal at best.

tyler
Precocious Little Scamp
Precocious Little Scamp

Post by tyler »

I can try and get as much information from my parents as they can recall. They use to eat there, they should have something to say at least.
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

Yeah, anything is helpful. I'm just looking for stuff I can throw into the description of the place, because I've got about one sentence worth right now :P
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

Sorry WB, I'm not much use with this subject... though I'll ask a guy that lives at my girlfriend's house, he used to eat there.