Devil's Den near Fordland?

Urban exploration in Missouri
Reggie
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: Devil's Den near Fordland?

Post by Reggie »

Go check it out dudes.
Easy to get to. Not too many people. Not too far outta town.
slow_walker
Shyest Street Sofa Champion Ever!

Post by slow_walker »

Without ever seeing this post before, I just came across the wonderful book "Geological Wonders and Curiosities of Missouri" which Caver spoke about in this thread. I was all prepared to let you guys know about Devil's Den, but luckily I did a search of the forum first and found out you guys already knew about it.

Did anyone else ever go check this out? I'm kind of interested in seeing it. The book gave directions if anyone is interested.

While looking through the book I also found a picture of the Oval Sink at the Southwest Treatment Plant in Springfield which exposes an underground waterway. But I couldn't find any other information about it. Is that something you guys have discussed somewhere? And if so please point me to that thread.
ambrosian_spelunker
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Re: RE: Devil's Den near Fordland?

Post by ambrosian_spelunker »

Sertile wrote:There are so many Devil's Holes and Devil's Dens and devil's this and that it's not even funny. It reminds me of Mammoth Spring, only to a lesser extent. Sounds like a job for cave-divers to me, which (not surprisingly) there aren't a lot of.

There are a few of us left out there!! :wink: It just requires a lot of training and can get quiet expensive!! It's totally worth it though. Seeing a cave from a spelunker's view is great but seeinig a karst system from a cave diver's is PHENOMINAL!!! 8)

I will be diving a few systems and areas this summer. I may have to get a few boys and check this one out as well! If anyone hears of anything relating to mysteries of cavern ect. let me know I like to thoroughly investigate them regardless of urban myth or not! If you decide you're interested here's information you'll need!

http://www.nsscds.org/training_new/aboutcavediving.htm
They called it domesticated, tamed, feminized ... is there a pill I can take to get rid of it??
redox
aka Sawney Bean
aka Sawney Bean

Re: Devil

Post by redox »

BUMP

http://missouri.hometownlocator.com/map ... %20den.cfm

That's one hell of a sinkhole. Looks like a collapsed cave. Does anyone have more info on it?
White Rabbit wrote:Welcome back. Find some cool stuff and tell us about it :P
neon
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by neon »

About dye resurfacing at the Mississippi. That's at least 230 miles.. I don't know about the practicality of that. But it reminds me of the Money Pit.
While looking through the book I also found a picture of the Oval Sink at the Southwest Treatment Plant in Springfield which exposes an underground waterway. But I couldn't find any other information about it. Is that something you guys have discussed somewhere? And if so please point me to that thread.
Same here. That sounds pretty awesome.
redox
aka Sawney Bean
aka Sawney Bean

Post by redox »

neon wrote:About dye resurfacing at the Mississippi. That's at least 230 miles.. I don't know about the practicality of that. But it reminds me of the Money Pit.
is this what pokey is talking about?
viewtopic.php?t=6950
slow_walker

Post by slow_walker »

redox wrote:
neon wrote:About dye resurfacing at the Mississippi. That's at least 230 miles.. I don't know about the practicality of that. But it reminds me of the Money Pit.
is this what pokey is talking about?
viewtopic.php?t=6950
Hmm... I honestly don't know if that is what I was talking about or not. It's been too long ago for me to remember exactly what I read.
cobcob
Aequitas
Aequitas

Post by cobcob »

redox wrote:is this what pokey is talking about?
viewtopic.php?t=6950
I doubt it. Valley Mill is on the north side of town. SW treatment plant is... well, south west...
GlassCurtain wrote:I like to masturbate during the sexual harassment films at work.
Pinkspider wrote:check here for geeky crotch eating goodness and crazy fake ass hair
slow_walker

Post by slow_walker »

Excellent point Cobby. Lol. I didn't even pay any attention to that when I answered.
redox
aka Sawney Bean
aka Sawney Bean

Post by redox »

That book (Geologic Wonders and Curiosities of Missouri) is available at the UMSL library. I'll have to check it out and read about that sinkhole and the "underground waterway" near the treatment plant. wow not one but two underground waterways.
White Rabbit wrote:Welcome back. Find some cool stuff and tell us about it :P
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

I have that book. I should look those up.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
redox
aka Sawney Bean
aka Sawney Bean

Post by redox »

I checked out that book. It's excellent giving exact directions to most of the locations (not many caves though). There's a bunch on Devil's Den which I'll scan later, but this is all I found on the sinkhole at the SW treatment plant.

BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

I also have a friend that works there. I might ask him about it next time I see him.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
itscaramel
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by itscaramel »

Devils den is a great place to camp. There are a lot of camp spots and I believe a basic spot is $12 a night. They have some trout fishing competitions there. Seems sort of touristy now, with the trails, but its still lovely and has nice hiking. It's very easy to find, and a nice place to spend the weekend.