road trip

Urban exploration in Missouri
djarum101
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

road trip

Post by djarum101 »

so my buddy and i r takin a road trip in the month off we have from class to see some friends... we plan on taking i44 to joplin then then south on 71 to the springdale area then over to harrison. then back home. we wanna know a few places we can hit on the way... camelot, dogpatch, etc... any ideas are greatly appriciated. thanx
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

If you're into caving at all, Devil's Den state park outside of Fayetteville is really nice and has a LOT of good caves, all open to the public. Also, there are some interesting roadside attractions in the Springdale area, including a Popeye statue, a large chicken statue, a McDonalds with a plane on the roof, and of course the first Wal-Mart store in Bentonville. Plus, if you're into gaming or a collector (like me), there's the Game-X-Change headquarters, which is an absolutely HUGE store that sells nothing but used video games, mostly 8 and 16-bit.

There's also the Coin Harvey lodge in Monte Ne, which you can read all about in this very forum!
Latest Update - Camp Wellfleet, Freshbrook Village: http://undergroundozarks.com/blog/sertile/
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

Monte Ne, definitely if you're in the Springdale/Rogers/Fayetteville area.

If you're going near Harrison, you definitely need to swing down by Rush and check out all the abandoned mines there.

Also, you should drive through Zinc. There are abandoned mines and caves EVERYWHERE down there. Might want to bring a topo to find some of them, but you can see plenty just along the dirt roads down there. Just don't let the fact that the largest KKK group in the nation has their headquarters down there scare you off :P
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Re: road trip

Post by Sertile »

Just don't let the fact that the largest KKK group in the nation has their headquarters down there scare you off
Unless you're black... then it might be a good idea to steer clear.
Latest Update - Camp Wellfleet, Freshbrook Village: http://undergroundozarks.com/blog/sertile/
dawgchain
The Pumkin King
The Pumkin King

Post by dawgchain »

I have always wondered if the KKK had any issues with little green men...
----------This space for rent----------
David Keetz
Mercurial Disciple
Mercurial Disciple

Post by David Keetz »

you might as well swing through eureka springs......the whole town is neat-o.

you'll find something to keep yourselves busy.
Monte Ne is a must. The old railroad tunnel is outside of eureka springs.
Dogpatch might not be worth your time at this point and camelot no longer exists.
I think something clever is supposed to go right here.
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

David Keetz wrote:camelot no longer exists.
I'm not sure how much of it is left. They're doing construction of some kind there constantly, and it looks like at least some of the buildings are gone. The front entrance building is gone for sure, anyway. But I think some of the stuff is still left. I'm pretty sure I saw one particular castle still standing through the trees.

Either way, it's not the same as it was.
piplnr65656
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: road trip

Post by piplnr65656 »

Are they going to reopen it or are they building something else there.
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

They're building some kind of new Jerusalem there, last I heard. It's going to be a planned community, christians-only, and the whole project's headed up by none other than former televangelist and ex-con Jim Bakker, unless I'm thinking of someplace else.
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

Yup, supposedly Jim Bakker is going to have a home and a recording studio for his show there. The guy's a fucking crook and a disgrace.
gimpface
Zen Master
Zen Master

Post by gimpface »

White Rabbit wrote:Yup, supposedly Jim Bakker is going to have a home and a recording studio for his show there. The guy's a fucking crook and a disgrace.
That's why he fits in fine in Branson. Cocksucker.
Vampire Killings, buy one get one FREE!
piplnr65656
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by piplnr65656 »

A friend of mine is running a bulldozer there. He said everyday around nine jim bakker comes out to the job site and gathers everyone up and they have a big group prayer.
gimpface
Zen Master
Zen Master

Post by gimpface »

*shudders*
Vampire Killings, buy one get one FREE!
whipping_post
The Corruptor
The Corruptor

Post by whipping_post »

I just threw up in my mouth a little.
I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own. I resign.