Southeast MO

Urban exploration in Missouri
ebuchh13
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Southeast MO

Post by ebuchh13 »

Hi, I'm new to urbanex. Really looking forward to eventually exploring somewhere, but I have no clue where to start. Anyone have suggestions of places in Southeast MO? Cape Girardeau/Perryville area. I've been reading in the STL forum, looking for places closer if possible.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Chris
King of the Man Bugs!
King of the Man Bugs!

Re: Southeast MO

Post by Chris »

There's an abandoned marina along the Mississippi just south of Ste. Genevieve.

(or at least there was several years ago)
Headframe Hunters
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by Headframe Hunters »

The Higdon Mine is a must-see in that area, if you ask me.

There's also the old Ozora marble quarry; I have not visited that site, but It's on my list. It looks to have been an underground operation that is now mostly flooded, but has a stiff-leg derrick and other equipment still there.

There may be some open portals into an underground limestone mine behind Mississippi Lime's employee recreation area.

If you drive up 55 closer to Festus, there should be underground access at the old Georgia Marble mine south of the Rush Island power plant.

APAC's Brickeys mine south of there has another accessible underground mine nearby it, along the tracks that parallel the river. That mine and/or the Georgia Marble mine may be partially flooded; you may want to bring a raft or inflatable boat.

If you cross the river into Ill-And-Annoying, there are a lot of underground silica mines on Forest Service land. I'd advise that you stay out of those, since the particular formation they mined is unstable.

Shoot me a PM if you'd like coordinates for any of these.
In loving memory of Nichole - 12/4/1996 -- 12/1/2017

https://headframehunters.blogspot.com/
Chris
King of the Man Bugs!
King of the Man Bugs!

Post by Chris »

I'd really like to see Ozora someday.
ebuchh13
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: Southeast MO

Post by ebuchh13 »

Thank you both! I appreciate it.
I don't think I'll be gung-ho enough to take a raft quite yet, but I'm excited to look into these places for sure!