Will there be another Underground BBQ?

All meetups, whether UE or non-UE, should be posted in this forum
keekermojo.exe
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Will there be another Underground BBQ?

Post by keekermojo.exe »

Hello, I'm new to UO but not to KC/Missouri and haven't seen much info on other underground events or meet ups. Does anyone know if it's still a goal or if the idea/members to make it work are long gone?
xX i do it for the girls and the gays, the queens and the queers love my shit Xx
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Re: Will there be another Underground BBQ?

Post by Nicotti »

KCurbex members do a camping trip every year I believe.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
Headframe Hunters
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by Headframe Hunters »

There was discussion of something in eastern Missouri last year, but as far as I know nothing ever came of it.
In loving memory of Nichole - 12/4/1996 -- 12/1/2017

https://headframehunters.blogspot.com/
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

Headframe Hunters wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:00 pm There was discussion of something in eastern Missouri last year, but as far as I know nothing ever came of it.
I realize this is an old thread but as far as the eastern Missouri side..

Saint Louis is a real tricky area to try exploring in even small groups. Compared to other cities in which I've engaged in absolutely ridiculous amounts of shenanigans, STL in general is very nosey and suspicious. There's a lot of assholes who just want to fuck shit up and people who just seem to live for drama and crave attention. It's exhausting. If you look too out of place in the nicer areas, people will be up your ass. If you look too out of place in the rougher areas, people will be up your ass. Example: We crawled out of a sewer once in the evening over in a more run-down section of town. Some guys were chilling on their porch right across from where we exited in a residential area. We didn't think anything of it acknowledge them and walked away down towards the road. We were almost immediately stopped by police on our walk back to the cars about a block down the road because apparently those guys called it in (we were wearing waders so they ID'd us based on that). Have plenty other examples of same.

We used to have a couple decent spots for chill hangouts/BBQ's that could handle groups, such as Lever Soap or Carondelet Coke but they are long gone now.

Several numerous years ago, we started looking for something easy that assholes couldn't really destroy: a large room and pillar mine. I've personally invested much time and energy into this pursuit, despite the fact that STL doesn't have a very large (or even remotely cohesive) urbex community. We tried for a short while. But then stuff happened and then I received threats from one of their lawyers. So. Fucking. Lame. I hate drama and am probably the most chill dude on the planet but still can't seem to avoid somehow ending up dealing with stupid fucking drama bullshit. Why can't we just explore stuff and be cool with each other?

ANYWAY

A while back I found what I felt was the PERFECT SPOT except it was nearly 2 hours north of STL. Also, it apparently had a large bat population so that wouldn't have been so perfect anyway. It has since been demolished/gated off and turned into a nature preserve.

We've pushed on and tracked down other mines and they have all been ruled out for one reason or another. One of them was also PERFECT... except the government owns it and uses them for storage. Then there was this other mine that does seem nearly perfect in most respects... except it's pretty dangerous inside and full of razor sharp jagged boulders everywhere to trip over, much of which has collapsed from the unstable ceiling. Just doing the initial scout/exploration of it, I managed to cut my hand quite deep and had to tear off part of my shirt to get it wrapped up. Definitely not the kind of place I'd be comfortable taking people, especially if alcohol was involved.

Despite the fact that I've been keeping an eye out for the ideal location for over a decade now and still haven't found it and despite the fact that there's always some stupid drama bullshit that someone will inevitably cause, I'm still always on the lookout for the ideal spot.

At this point I have one "maybe" spot which does indeed seem perfect in all respects except for logistics. For one, it's a little over an hour outside of STL. More problematic is that it's fairly remote and I haven't yet worked out how much cover we'd have hauling coolers and stuff into, how nosey the neighbors are, where we could park 10 plus cars, etc. But the spot itself is honestly perfect and pretty awesome. Just need to work out the details. I hope we can make it happen someday. Hard to make much progress with such a small group as ours though. Especially considering we're adults with families and jobs and don't have tons of opportunities to get out every week/weekend.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

keekermojo.exe wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:31 pm Hello, I'm new to UO but not to KC/Missouri and haven't seen much info on other underground events or meet ups. Does anyone know if it's still a goal or if the idea/members to make it work are long gone?
Despite my comment above, there's no rule that says only OG members can throw a meetup together. If you meet people in your area and think you can pull it off and have the desire to do so, go on and make it happen. Don't spend a bunch of money on steaks though, just grab a little grill out of someone's trash and buy some cheap mystery meat hot dogs and set up shop.

If you build it, they will come. Maybe.
Snoopy
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Snoopy »

Nicotti wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:04 pm KCurbex members do a camping trip every year I believe.
our spring "campout" (if you can even call it a campout anymore lol), will be on Easter weekend. More details to be posted on KCUE sometime soon.
Aran
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Aran »

Snoopy wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:40 pm
Nicotti wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:04 pm KCurbex members do a camping trip every year I believe.
our spring "campout" (if you can even call it a campout anymore lol), will be on Easter weekend. More details to be posted on KCUE sometime soon.
Ah yes, the spring cave rave. Now with 100% more cops lol. I'll definitely try to be there if I can get the time off work, I hope to see a lot of you there!