Abandoned Washington High School

Urban exploration in St. Louis, Missouri
kokonutfreaks
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Abandoned Washington High School

Post by kokonutfreaks »

About 2 weeks ago, me and a friend of mine went on another road trip to the sad, dying town of Saint Joseph, Missouri. In the year 1900, Saint Joseph had a population of 102,979 people. As of 2015, the town now has roughly 76,596 people. While we were there, we took hundreds of pictures of all the decaying old abandoned buildings the town has.

On our first day, we walked around the downtown area of Saint Joseph, exploring every abandoned building we could find. Here are just a few buildings we found on our trip.

- The entire left side of the street was abandoned. The reason we came here was to get pictures of the towns famous, Regal Theater.

- Here are two more abandoned buildings we found in the downtown area. You can see the broken out window on the farthest building.

- As we got closer to the riverfront, we spotted this building and were completely amazed. This is a perfect example of how this town is slowly falling apart.

On the second day of our trip, we were driving around and happened to come across an abandoned school, Washington High School. Washington School was built in 1908, replacing an 1894 structure that the district had outgrown. The school was closed in 1972, but spent two years as a middle school while a new building was under construction. The school building closed for good in 1974 and is now 42 years abandoned. Here are a few pictures I took while I was there.

- Here's the front view of the school. At first glance, we were worried we wouldn't be able to find an entrance.

We eventually made our way to the back of the school where there was an alley way with houses, which was kind of sketchy. Once we were about to jump the fence over into the overgrown school parking lot, we were startled by a homeless man that warned us about police that guard the school. We both said thank you and appreciated his warning. We then waited for him to leave and hopped the fence anyways because of how far we drove out here and wasn't going to waste an explore.

- After searching every side of the school, this window was the one, and only entrance we found. Luckily, someone before us put a ladder down so we could get in and out safely.

- The window we came through was in the basement. We were greeted by insane amounts of mold and asbestos.

- We then made our way to the next floor up. This building was amazing and was by far, the highlight of the trip.

- We then found the auditorium. This room was unbelievably trashed with magazines, boxes, pictures, and papers everywhere.

- Here are few more miscellaneous pictures I took there.

- We then ended the explore by going to the rooftop and getting shots of the city.

Enjoy, and stay safe!
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: Abandoned Washington High School

Post by SubLunar »

Very nice!
MOFishwater
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: Abandoned Washington High School

Post by MOFishwater »

cool stuff, thanks for sharing. i can feel the mesothelioma from here.
Mike0032
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Mike0032 »

Thanks for sharing. Glad people are helping keep this forum alive.
Crimsonanngel
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Crimsonanngel »

Does anyone know the status on this city and whether or not these buildings have been left untouched?