Church of Sk8tan

Urban exploration in St. Louis, Missouri
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Church of Sk8tan

Post by Nicotti »

Anyone know what church this is in? The RFT says it's in one place but it's map shows another spot.
RFT wrote: FRIDAY, AUGUST 21

Party Time at the Church of Sk8tan
Friday, August 21
Sk8 Liborius
7 p.m. | $5
By Daniel Hill
This is one of those shows for which the venue itself is half the appeal. Sure, the entertainment is solid -- artists from as far as New Zealand, Texas and Tennessee will perform alongside up-and-coming St. Louis-based acts, the majority of them punk-influenced in on way or another -- but the Church of Sk8tan (or Sk8 Liborius, as it is sometimes called) is a true gem. An actual, legit church that has been taken over by skateboarders. Sk8 Liborius has ramps built in the area that would have once held the congregation, stretching all the way up onto the altar. Brought to you by the same folks who converted the space beneath the Kingshighway bridge into a guerrilla skate park, it is a one-of-a-kind space that must be seen to be believed.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: Church of Sk8tan

Post by SubLunar »

St Liborius. A notoriously virgin church for years prior to this. Virgin insofar as I never got in there because there had always been some form of activity and I had never seen any other explorers get in there. Was owned by a pack-rat artist at one point. Had some church functions still operating out of the basement. Heavily gutted inside.

They just had an event there this saturday that a bunch of locals were supposed to go do pictures at. I would have considered trying to make it down for that, but I had other obligations that day (including a tour of the now renovated Arcade building).
lindsey.michelle
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: Church of Sk8tan

Post by lindsey.michelle »

Did the police not come and break this up? it's crazy to me that is was posted in the RFT! --very beautiful place, just surprised that this was able to go on
promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate.
mitts3000
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by mitts3000 »

The police can't do anything about it. The church was LRA property bought buy a few hippy type folks and now they're letting a skatepark take over the main floor. Theres a music stage and full on bar in there too. Pretty neat for St. Louis
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

yeah the skate park is legit, they're not just setting up shop in an abandoned building without permission.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

-Ayn Rand
gnar_hesh
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by gnar_hesh »

Current word on the street is that the Sk8 Liborius dudes are facing at least a $200K price tag to bring the place up to code or else the city is going to shut them down.
Would you like to know more?

IG:@Gnarlord_of_the_Wasteland
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

Maybe that's why they're releasing the documentary and in the news now? Looking for donors/investors.

-Ayn Rand
gnar_hesh
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by gnar_hesh »

That tracks. Those dudes employ some nutty fundraising tactics. The first Brinkstock was wild as shit. I was all bruises from that pit.
Would you like to know more?

IG:@Gnarlord_of_the_Wasteland