Stupid ideas

Urban exploration in St. Louis, Missouri
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: Stupid ideas

Post by SubLunar »

Not local:

Three Mile Island's Unit 2. "TMI's Unit 2 reactor has been shut down since the partial meltdown in 1979"
Mandi Milenko
Miz Mayhem
Miz Mayhem

Post by Mandi Milenko »

http://goo.gl/maps/4RYLX
Wikipedia wrote: Luther Yard is a rail yard operated by the Norfolk Southern Railway in St. Louis, Missouri. It is located at 333 East Carrie Avenue, several miles north of downtown.

The yard was built in 1890 by the Wabash Railroad, a precursor line to the Norfolk Southern, which used it as its central classification yard. Built on 30.65 acres of land, the yard included a 15-stall roundhouse, coal chutes, a sand house, an oil house, scales. The railroad spent $71,400.48 on the yard in fiscal year 1890.

As of 2013, 63 trains pass through the yard each week.
Last edited by Mandi Milenko on Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mandi Milenko
Miz Mayhem
Miz Mayhem

Re: RE: Stupid ideas

Post by Mandi Milenko »

oops double post. I'll try and find historical pics or something as a filler. lol
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

SubLunar wrote:Not local:

Three Mile Island's Unit 2. "TMI's Unit 2 reactor has been shut down since the partial meltdown in 1979"
Twenty more years till Unit 1 is decommissioned. Then you might be able to go.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

Tamms Super Max Prison

baghead and I drove up to it recently. There were signs all along the way that threatened arrest and search for proceeding. There was a car in the parking lot, but it looked like a ghost town. We walked up to the front door and tried opening it. Inside a guard moved towards us. The highly tattooed guard declined our tour request and informed us we could be arrested just for being on the property there. There's like 2 fences of razor wire surrounding the main prison, security camera monitors were visible inside the front doors where the guard was and the grounds were kept up. Give it about another 5 years of inactivity and we'll see how well they're still watching the place.
cdevon1200
400+ Poster
400+ Poster

Post by cdevon1200 »

SubLunar wrote:Tamms Super Max Prison

baghead and I drove up to it recently. There were signs all along the way that threatened arrest and search for proceeding. There was a car in the parking lot, but it looked like a ghost town. We walked up to the front door and tried opening it. Inside a guard moved towards us. The highly tattooed guard declined our tour request and informed us we could be arrested just for being on the property there. There's like 2 fences of razor wire surrounding the main prison, security camera monitors were visible inside the front doors where the guard was and the grounds were kept up. Give it about another 5 years of inactivity and we'll see how well they're still watching the place.

I like this idea. sign me up!
leave nothing but beer cans, take nothing but selfies.

https://www.facebook.com/TheTexasDoor
Mandi Milenko
Miz Mayhem
Miz Mayhem

Post by Mandi Milenko »

Radioactive drainage ditch found at ballpark near Westlake Landfill. I wish they would have went into more detail instead of talking about the damn tournament.

http://www.kmov.com/news/mobile/Basebal ... 64831.html
STLBull
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by STLBull »

Mandi Milenko wrote:http://goo.gl/maps/4RYLX
Wikipedia wrote: Luther Yard is a rail yard operated by the Norfolk Southern Railway in St. Louis, Missouri. It is located at 333 East Carrie Avenue, several miles north of downtown.

The yard was built in 1890 by the Wabash Railroad, a precursor line to the Norfolk Southern, which used it as its central classification yard. Built on 30.65 acres of land, the yard included a 15-stall roundhouse, coal chutes, a sand house, an oil house, scales. The railroad spent $71,400.48 on the yard in fiscal year 1890.

yeah, not a smart idea.

Given the area, the railroad cops shoot first, clean up the scene then ask questions.

Better place across the street or the old Rock Island yard southwest of there.
nabyar
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by nabyar »

SubLunar wrote:Tamms Super Max Prison

The real question is, why is it so heavily guarded?

I'm sure I speak for the rest of us, but HOLY@#$ I WANT TO GO IN THERE SO BAD NOW!
nabyar
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by nabyar »

Mandi Milenko wrote:http://goo.gl/maps/4RYLX

So.. is it abandoned or not?

Because if its not, that is definitely a stupid idea. :)
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

nabyar wrote:The real question is, why is it so heavily guarded?

I'm sure I speak for the rest of us, but HOLY@#$ I WANT TO GO IN THERE SO BAD NOW!
It's mothballed. Last I checked, they were talking about re-opening it.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

A-B Buildings/Cellars...

We know how to access them. But you'd need a really long rope. And be invisible. They have cameras all over the fucking place and I'm sure there's motion sensors inside. We tried it once and promptly had armed security coming at us from every direction. Some rolled up in a golf cart, others were in trucks. And we had only been there for all of like 1 minute. They didn't really know the laws very well though. In reply to my asking them if our activities were illegal, they replied "I'm sure there's a law against it". Yeah, ok. After a stern talking to and running background checks, they let us go.
Meester Beeg
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Meester Beeg »

The reason Tamm is so heavily guarded?
Because with all the Illinois politicians being sent to jail they will need it! :D
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

SubLunar wrote:A-B Buildings/Cellars...

We know how to access them. But you'd need a really long rope. And be invisible. They have cameras all over the fucking place and I'm sure there's motion sensors inside. We tried it once and promptly had armed security coming at us from every direction. Some rolled up in a golf cart, others were in trucks. And we had only been there for all of like 1 minute. They didn't really know the laws very well though. In reply to my asking them if our activities were illegal, they replied "I'm sure there's a law against it". Yeah, ok. After a stern talking to and running background checks, they let us go.
Get "lost" while on the tour.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Post by crazydrummerdude »

Nicotti wrote:Get "lost" while on the tour.
Almost all doors require a badge.