Island Family Center

Urban exploration in St. Louis, Missouri
Shemp72
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

RE: Island Family Center

Post by Shemp72 »

It was 4 in the afternoon and the building next door had a full parking lot. Lots of traffic going by.
Burls
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: Island Family Center

Post by Burls »

The defunct toy company Children's Palace used to operate out of the building up until the early 90's. Then it was operated as a roller skating rink know as the Palace for several years.
Shemp72
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Post by Shemp72 »

Thx Burls. It was killing me to not remember.
Shemp72
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Post by Shemp72 »

Just left there around 8. Took those photos Friday, should have came back that evening like I had considered doing, as the window has been boarded back up and chain/padlock has been replaced. A quick tug on the door revealed that the chain was all that held it closed. Checked another door and no go. Had a narrow window and it's closed.
Burls
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Burls »

Property is still owned by LIGHTED PATH MINISTRIES INTERNATIONAL IN according St. Louis county Assessors.
nabyar
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: RE: Island Family Center

Post by nabyar »

Shemp72 wrote:Just left there around 8. Took those photos Friday, should have came back that evening like I had considered doing, as the window has been boarded back up and chain/padlock has been replaced. A quick tug on the door revealed that the chain was all that held it closed. Checked another door and no go. Had a narrow window and it's closed.
Gosh dang it! Its like these people lurk the forums, knowing we want access.

Then they immediately go and reinforce everything they can.
shadow7857
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by shadow7857 »

I don't know if anyone every actually gets on this anymore. I stumbled across it just while looking up info about the place. I actually used to go to daycare here. As far as I can tell, once it shut down originality there was a about a year before it reopened as a daycare center. I was a child that went there for daycare for a few years while I lived there from 2003 to 2005. After that I do not know anything else about when it closed. It was a skating rink with a few basic games you'd find at most skating rinks (basketball and such) as well as a theater projector room with and open floor that I'm guessing was originally used for birthday parties and such. Then on the right 3rd of the building there was a full multiroom section of the building for the typical daycare stuff such as playroom and such. Then to the right outside used to be a playground but I don't know how much of it is still there or standing as I have not been over there in quite a few years.
gnar_hesh
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by gnar_hesh »

I politely recommend taking a pass on that one. The castle parts are just soffit style build-outs slapped on the building, and definitely not accessible like an actual castle tower. The rest of the structure is just your typical boring ass box store retail space. It's North County so there's like 18 different police jurisdictions through there and it's a high-vis location. Just not worth it in my opinion.
Would you like to know more?

IG:@Gnarlord_of_the_Wasteland