Washington Park Cemetary

Urban exploration in St. Louis, Missouri
Eagle90
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Re: RE: Washington Park Cemetary

Post by Eagle90 »

Mandi Milenko wrote:I seriously doubt that he has family still around, because if he did his grave wouldn't be in such bad condition. If he does, than if they don't care enough to raise awareness on the issue, than what is wrong with me publicizing it? As cool as this cemetery is, something needs to be done about its condition. The entire place is disrespectful. Also, they publicized on the news that his remains are showing, so do you honestly think I'm the only one who has done this? It's sad, yes, but to me it's no different than a mummy at a museum. If you know its there, you're going to take a look. And take pictures. If enough people are upset about these pictures, I will take them down. But for now they are staying up. I respect your opinion, but to a lot of us morbid people on here this type of stuff is interesting, as sad as it may be. Hopefully when they move him, they will do a much better job. It's not that I like seeing it, but if it's there, I'm sure as hell going to document it.
Fair enough. I had no idea it was talked about on the news as I don't watch STL news stations or read the STL paper. I also have no idea if anyone else has posted photo's of the boy's body on the net; this is the only place I've seen it. We each have our own opinions and we both voiced them here. We don't agree and that's ok.

I do disagree with you, however, about it being no different than a mummy in a museum. A mummy (Egyptian or Peruvian type) are hundreds or thousands of years old. No one living today knew them. There may yet be someone alive who knew this boy. That is the difference. Granted, if there is someone living who knew him, they obviously don't care about the condition of his grave.

I will say this is the first I've heard of this cemetery. I have no idea where it's at or the condition it is in. This wouldn't happen to be up by the STL airport would it? We flew out of STL last year for a Disney trip and we drove by a cemetery that was in deplorable condition. I had never seen a cemetery in such a state of disrepair.
t7
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

RE: Washington Park Cemetary

Post by t7 »

Aye, it's right by the airport.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Re: Washington Park Cemetary

Post by Nicotti »

I think the pics are cool.

Is it wood bottomed? Looks to me like there was a wooden casket inside the metal burial vault.

And he is well perserved, obviously the family had a very good mortican embalm him.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
Mandi Milenko
Miz Mayhem
Miz Mayhem

Post by Mandi Milenko »

Yeah its all wood under the metal. I'm sure his burial was very lavish. Too bad it looks like this now. If he had family around, I'm sure they would be very upset about this. If by chance someone does contact me and ask me to take the pics down, I definitely will. But sadly I don't think that's going to happen. I WANT that to happen honestly, because that means at least there is someone out there who cares.
Mandi Milenko
Miz Mayhem
Miz Mayhem

Post by Mandi Milenko »

And yes this is right by the airport. People drive past it all the time. It's been on the news 4 times in the last 2 years, twice because of its condition, once because a body was dumped there (I got questioned about that one because I happened to turn around right by where police found him, and I left my tire tracks. Luckily I had pics to prove he wasn't there at the time), and then recently because of this boy.

It is the worst cemetery I have ever visited. Very overgrown, and very disrespected. Maybe because it is strictly African-American? I don't think anyone has been buried there since the 70s, but it is huge and the damage is extensive. There are stories that the former owner commited suicide in the now very derelict mosoleum.

The woods there are something else! There is a good chance there is another unearthed body or two back there somewhere. Almost all of the headstones off in the woods have been knocked over and broken because of the trees, and I came across a few graves that were pretty sunk in.
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

I agree leave the pics if anything it might get some one off there butts to do something he is not a family pet and yes i know moving him is expensive and has to be done the correct way but it still need to be done
GREAT PICS Mandi 8) 8) 8) 8)
Sleep is a waste of time,you can sleep when you are dead
Mandi Milenko
Miz Mayhem
Miz Mayhem

Post by Mandi Milenko »

Thanks! I just heard on the news that another cemetery is moving him for free and they are going to bury him underground this time. They also are looking for volunteers to help clean the place up, but they did that a few years back and the owner just let it get bad again. I would have no problem volunteering my time if it was going to do any good, but it won't.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

As Mandi well knows, some plots out there are taken care of by relatives still, but most aren't.

-Ayn Rand
Mandi Milenko
Miz Mayhem
Miz Mayhem

Post by Mandi Milenko »

So, I found out that all the old heads around here refer to this place as "The Black-Bury Patch". Slightly racist, but true and funny as hell!!

Oh, and they have cleaned up most of the brush/weeds/tall grass by the main streets, but that's been done before... The shit back in the woods will never be cleaned up though.
Mandi Milenko
Miz Mayhem
Miz Mayhem

Post by Mandi Milenko »

They have moved the boy to the front of the cemetery. I thought he was going to another place, but I guess not. They also cleaned it up a little bit more. We'll see how long that lasts. The owner has warrants for his arrest for not appearing in court over the fines he has gotten on this place.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

Did you get any pics of the new grave and/or what the did to the old burial vault?

-Ayn Rand
KatyaRose92
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by KatyaRose92 »

At least they moved him. The pictures you got were a tad morbid, but insanely cool at the same time.

And who need a penis or height when you have the ultimate weapon...boobs...
Gravity checks may occur without warning.
KatyaRose92
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by KatyaRose92 »

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/metr ... 08311.html

He's officially be moved and reburied. We'll see how long the effort lasts to keep the place cleaned up.
Gravity checks may occur without warning.
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Re: RE: Washington Park Cemetary

Post by crazydrummerdude »

KatyaRose92 wrote:the ultimate weapon...boobs...
:D
archinstl
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Post by archinstl »

► New Story in today's P-D ◄
http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/metr ... 08311.html
It also has a number of pictures; the reburial was quite impressive, with a fitting installation!