Washington Park Cemetary

Urban exploration in St. Louis, Missouri
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Re: Washington Park Cemetary

Post by ropingk »

no its not it is what getts some one off there lazy butts and do something that they should ahve done a long time ago

its not disrespectfull to show how bad a condition a grave is in and how it is being ignored
it may be not good to start playing with the dead persons body parts but that didnt happejn
Sleep is a waste of time,you can sleep when you are dead
BagHead727
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by BagHead727 »

Interesting. What I think is messed up and disrespectful is when some one goes into a cemetery they have no business being in and they disrupt a badly weathered and vandalized grave to snap pictures of a small child and then distribute the pictures on the internet for anyone to see. This isn't archaeology or photo journalism and the boys grave isn't historical or educational in the least bit so I don't think you can compare it to pictures of mummies. If you want to make a difference then go volunteer or make a donation. From experience I know it's not easy to clean up such a deteriorated cemetery with out proper resources.

Personally I've never thought it to be okay to explore cemeteries in general. Everyone has their unique ways to memorialize and remember and everyone has their taboos and preferences for privacy and common courtesy. I try to respect all of these views and the best way to do so is if I simply don't enter cemeteries unless I have a legit reason to do so.

Just my opinion of course.
aka "That Guy"
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

I've never understood Christian cemeteries. They believe the spirit goes to heaven, so why are the bodies treated with so much reverence? They are just sacks of meat left behind. I understand it in cultures that believe the body/spirit are tied together. My guess is that it is a left over pagan ritual. I hope someone does Weekend at Bernie's with my body until it falls to pieces. Or feeds me to ravening honey badgers.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

BagHead727 wrote:Interesting. What I think is messed up and disrespectful is when some one goes into a cemetery they have no business being in and they disrupt a badly weathered and vandalized grave to snap pictures of a small child and then distribute the pictures on the internet for anyone to see. This isn't archaeology or photo journalism and the boys grave isn't historical or educational in the least bit so I don't think you can compare it to pictures of mummies. ...

Just my opinion of course.
So you believe that pointing a lens through an existing hole is "disrupting a grave"? I disagree, it's not like she pulled the burial vault apart herself to get the photos.

As for the "archaeology or photo journalism" statement, are those the only professions you believe are allowed to document remains?

And a 90+ year old grave marker is considered historical by most people, but the body buried next to it isn't? Sorry I don'buy it.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

BROUSER wrote:I've never understood Christian cemeteries. They believe the spirit goes to heaven, so why are the bodies treated with so much reverence? They are just sacks of meat left behind. I understand it in cultures that believe the body/spirit are tied together. My guess is that it is a left over pagan ritual. I hope someone does Weekend at Bernie's with my body until it falls to pieces. Or feeds me to ravening honey badgers.
+1

I'm christian and I plan on being cremated. Seems like an aweful waste of space to basically ziplock dead bodies for as long as possible in vast tracks of land.

-Ayn Rand
Mandi Milenko
Miz Mayhem
Miz Mayhem

RE: Washington Park Cemetary

Post by Mandi Milenko »

I knew this was going to end up being controversial. Lol!

To be honest, the vault was already lifted up and propped on a rock. Before we left, we moved the rock just to try and give him a little more peace until he was moved. The reporter for channel 4 showed exactly where you can see in, and confirmed that they were exposed. I'm sure I'm not the only one who took a few pics. He was hit by a car in a time where very few cars were on the road. This cemetery was almost new when he was buried there. Now look at it. It may not be historic, but it damn sure is interesting to a lot of us. Either way, the pics are gone, so it's all a moot point anyway.
BagHead727
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by BagHead727 »

Yeah I would actually prefer to be buried in a wood box and allowed to rot into the ground. I never fully understood why we feel the need to preserve our dead for an eternity.

But we'll just have to agree to to disagree on the rest. Let's just say if I found out that some one did this to the remains of one of my relatives I would feel quite upset and vengeful. I'm sure I'm not the only one.
aka "That Guy"
monkey1976
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by monkey1976 »

BROUSER wrote:I've never understood Christian cemeteries. They believe the spirit goes to heaven, so why are the bodies treated with so much reverence? They are just sacks of meat left behind. I understand it in cultures that believe the body/spirit are tied together. My guess is that it is a left over pagan ritual. I hope someone does Weekend at Bernie's with my body until it falls to pieces. Or feeds me to ravening honey badgers.
In Catholic theology, at least, we're not just a soul in a meat sack. A human person consists of both body and soul. At death, they're separated, but they will be rejoined (and the body restored) at the resurrection. We treat bodies with reverence because that is an integral part of the person who has died.
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

How sad. At the resurrection I'm still going to look like this? Or will the restoration consist of some cosmetic improvements? Can I get a new nose? Can my ears not stick out so much? And I'd really like a little more curl in my hair. Vanity, vanity, all is vanity.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

wow this has really went to odd places

My dad was a Pentoscal preacher for over 30 years and our church was one of the ones that most people laugh at.
Yes we had folks run the topps of the pews( good thing they were BOLTED to the floor) stand at the frount door and pray for the comunity, scream at the devil to LEAVE this place--- we had a rocking band and our praise and worship might last 2-3 hours before dad ever thought about preaching

Now when my dad died it was HARD for me to even think of letting him go( I am the only child) I dont care if he is going to a better place or not--- I want him with me---however that did nto happen so when we planned his funeral, I bought a Awesome Wooden Casket and the best Vault they had( and who really know what "THE BEST IS "
Our Church belief is that Dad is now in heaven and walking the streets of gold and talking to all the ones gone before him and spending the evenings with Jesus walking by the river of life
and that the body he left is just a empty shell and while we do belive in the reseration and yes it is said the graves will open and we shall rise to meet him in the skys and we wil be known as we are now

and while i KNOW ALL THIS

I still put solar lights on his grave and a warm blanket ever winter and i go there and sit on my little bench and sing to him and talk nto him--he has not talked back so for me the why is cause it was just to hard to let go I know he is not in that box and he isnt afraid of the dark or getts cold i knwo this I just miss him and this is all i can do so as strange as it is I still do it
Dad's Birthday was decenber 25th yes a Christmas baby so every year i take him some cake and leave it on his grave and sing to him im sure some animal eats it but oh well
This is not a explaniation its just what I do and why I do it
and yep if some one was taking pics of dad all falling out of his grave id be TORQUED but then Im never going to let that happen wheil ill alive so its not a issue
now back to your reguralary scheduled programming
Sleep is a waste of time,you can sleep when you are dead
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

monkey1976 wrote: At death, they're separated, but they will be rejoined (and the body restored) at the resurrection.
See I don't get that part. Most christians believe that God created man out of nothing, but when it comes to the resurrection they believe they got to keep old corpses lying around otherwise God either can't or won't raise them from the dead. If the body is going to be restored, what are we keeping it around for? (Except as reminders to ourselves of loved ones who've passed, as Roping mentioned)

-Ayn Rand
t7
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by t7 »

Nicotti wrote: Most christians believe that God created man out of nothing, but when it comes to the resurrection they believe they got to keep old corpses lying around otherwise God either can't or won't raise them from the dead.
I think this belief is held by Catholics, but not most mainline Protestants. Protestants also reject Catholic doctrines such as transubstantiation and the immaculate conception.
Avenue Gent
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Avenue Gent »

BagHead727 wrote: I never fully understood why we feel the need to preserve our dead for an eternity
Because we might come back one day...

Image[/img]
Chuck-A-Burger Drive -In
Eagle90
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by Eagle90 »

t7 wrote:
Nicotti wrote: Most christians believe that God created man out of nothing, but when it comes to the resurrection they believe they got to keep old corpses lying around otherwise God either can't or won't raise them from the dead.
I think this belief is held by Catholics, but not most mainline Protestants. Protestants also reject Catholic doctrines such as transubstantiation and the immaculate conception.
Protestants believe in the virgin birth of Jesus Christ. We also (most anyway) believe that when Christ returns, he will raise the bodies of believers who have died and their bodies will be restored. However, they will be perfect bodies and not the flawed bodies we have now. Doesn't matter if you're cremated, buried at sea, or your body was somehow destroyed. To recreate it is nothing for God compared to creating the universe.

The bodies of those who have denied Christ will also be raised. However, they will not spend eternity in Heaven but in Hell.
Mandi Milenko
Miz Mayhem
Miz Mayhem

RE: Washington Park Cemetary

Post by Mandi Milenko »

I'm not religious at all, but I'm just throwing this out there. If its ok to look into an open casket at a funeral where you know the person, why is it not ok to be curious about an unearthed 90-year-old body of someone you don't know? People take pictures of dead bodies at funerals. Wrong as it may be, I have seen it happen, right in front of their family members. Also, I'm sure embalmers take before-and-after pics of their work too. Crime scene investigators also take pics. It's not like this kid's pictures are the worst things I've ever seen online. I've seen much, much worse.