Chain of Rocks Water Intake towers?

Urban exploration in St. Louis, Missouri
cobcob
Aequitas
Aequitas

Re: Chain of Rocks Water Intake towers?

Post by cobcob »

SubLunar wrote:Precisely. I don't believe any non-motorized vessel could navigate the strong current, so that's really the only option anyway...

And I believe they're still maintained for back-up purposes, so they're not exactly abandoned or decommissioned.
I maintain you mum for backup purposes.
GlassCurtain wrote:I like to masturbate during the sexual harassment films at work.
Pinkspider wrote:check here for geeky crotch eating goodness and crazy fake ass hair
Freak
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

RE: Chain of Rocks Water Intake towers?

Post by Freak »

GlassCurtain
Cereal Smuggler
Cereal Smuggler

Re: RE: Chain of Rocks Water Intake towers?

Post by GlassCurtain »

SubLunar wrote:Precisely. I don't believe any non-motorized vessel could navigate the strong current, so that's really the only option anyway...
ok so how about 2 kayaks with a long rope between them. They split one tower and use the tower as a type of fulcrum thus negating the current...although getting back to shore might be a challenge. :)
“I investigate things to complete my knowledge, my complete knowledge makes my thoughts sincere, my thoughts being sincere; my heart is pure.”

http://www.flickr.com/photos/glasscurtain/
Fiend
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by Fiend »

GlassCurtain wrote:
ok so how about 2 kayaks with a long rope between them. They split one tower and use the tower as a type of fulcrum thus negating the current...although getting back to shore might be a challenge. :)
Screw it, its total commitment at that point, all or nothin! Slowly rot away in those towers, take one for the team damn it!
GlassCurtain
Cereal Smuggler
Cereal Smuggler

Post by GlassCurtain »

I might be able to hook you up with some supply drops while you're out there. Or hell set up a pulley system between you and the bridge. :)
“I investigate things to complete my knowledge, my complete knowledge makes my thoughts sincere, my thoughts being sincere; my heart is pure.”

http://www.flickr.com/photos/glasscurtain/
Scottj
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Scottj »

The easiest way to get there would be to just wait for a nice long drought.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/multimedia ... 87581.html

Since they built the Chain Of Rocks Canal, the water levels rarely drop low enough to reveal the dike. But it's there. And I'm guessing that there would still be some form of security that you would need to circumvent to access it. But no where near as life threatening as boats or grappling hooks.
Attachments
cor_dyke.image.jpg
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

Might still need the grappling hook from the dike though.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis
Location: I am everywhere and nowhere, especially in Missouri

Post by PANIC! on the Titanic »

Nicotti wrote:Might still need the grappling hook from the dike though.
And probably a wingsuit too.
Scottj
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Scottj »

It's not as tall as it looks. I went by there today. There is a park near where the dike meets the shore. You can look straight out to the closest tower. It's chilling to picture yourself out there. The water would have to drop to near record lows to reveal the dike. And if you fell or slipped into the river that far out, the chain of rocks would undoubtedly claim you for it's own. No picture can convey how dangerous this would be. It's 600,000 cu ft/s of flowing death.
Even so, I'd still be game is someone ever wanted to attempt it.

http://www.builtstlouis.net/watertowers ... wers9.html
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

I agree, the current is way to swift for anything short of a motorized vessel. Then, you'd have to figure out how to anchor yourself to the towers. Best bet is to find the tunnel entrance. Let's do this already.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

SubLunar wrote:Best bet is to find the tunnel entrance. Let's do this already.
You mean the intake tunnel? Isn't it full of water?

-Ayn Rand
Freak
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Post by Freak »

The picture description says 2.2ft is the river level that reveals the dike. Current river level data is at http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrogra ... 1,1,1,1%22

Low water records: http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/water.ph ... 8,2,9,15,6

Looks like it's certainly possible.. just keep an eye on the river level.
Freak
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Post by Freak »

And really, what's the big deal about the chain of rocks danger? It looks like a gravel bar that the river goes over. So if you fall out of your boat... just stand up? I bet you could float over it with a whitewater rafting outfit (a helmet, life jacket, and knee/elbow pads).

With a powered boat you'd want to be careful around such a shallow area anyway. You'd probably want a jet boat or an airboat, they don't need much (or any) water for the engine. I'm betting a skillfully-piloted airboat could just drive over the whole rapids area, at least from what I see in the photos. I'm building an airboat in my garage, anyone want to help pay for gas to haul it down there? :-D
Freak
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Post by Freak »

Here's some guy kayaking it, apparently the whitewater guys like it:

http://www.americanwhitewater.org/conte ... il_id_2950

And here's some dudes doing it in an old-timey looking indian canoe:
http://2muddy.com/blog/wp-content/uploa ... _canoe.jpg

From http://2muddy.com/blog/

So it definitely sounds doable from the water as well! Just rope down there with a boat and grappling hook and wear whitewater gear in case you fall out or the rope breaks.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

Freak wrote:And really, what's the big deal about the chain of rocks danger? It looks like a gravel bar that the river goes over. So if you fall out of your boat... just stand up?
Well firstly, it's not a gravel bar. It was man-made using large enough boulders that the river doesn't move them downstream when it floods.

And here are some quotes from that blog you linked:
For that, the Chain of Rocks is where we go. It is just the place to amp up the adrenaline flow and put our skills to the highest test. It is probably the most troublesome, dangerous place on the Mississippi River for paddlers, especially at a low water stage.
At seven feet gauge height in St. Louis, the Chain of Rocks is a thundering obstacle course created by the mass of Mississippi River water (200,000 cfs, yesterday) flowing to a precipitous point, a ledge stretching the entire width of the river with massive boulders, rocks and assorted river detritus (refrigerators, car parts, anything that has come from flooded zones far away) layered through the entire river channel. The entire river is rushing, falling and tumbling in a labyrinth of boiling, churning and standing waves, with a washer machine hydraulic effect mashing and mixing the water. There have been deaths here.

From upstream at water level, you can’t see any of the possible lines of water to run. There are only a couple. River right is our preference for a more simple and less tumultuous run over the Chain. River left is for pro’s only.

-Ayn Rand