Welch Baby Carriage Building

Urban exploration in St. Louis, Missouri
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Welch Baby Carriage Building

Post by ropingk »

Hey Willare I know this is not in Springfield but what info do you have on this buiding
FOr the last 5-6 years it has been the home of the Darkness Haunted House
Before that it really was where they made the famous
Big Wheel Welch Babby Carriages my grandmother worked there
any way it would have been great to explore
it is down in the Soluard area--around the Budweiser plant and the Lemp Brewery but I saw something that said it was undergoing a massive reonavation
This is one of the oldest biuildings still left in the St Louis Area
I think at one time it was used as prosion or a type of hospital
any way if you can find anything it should be pretty intresting
When it was The Darkness it was pretty cool to walk up the stepts of the old factory and just think of all the workers who walked up thoese same stepts year after year and how they talked about there families there problems and the things they wanted to do in life probaly with a lunch box most likely making less than 5cents a hour--yes that would be $2. a week or $8 a month or now hold on $96 dollars a year
I guess it is good that they arnt tearing it down
Sleep is a waste of time,you can sleep when you are dead
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

RE: Welch Baby Carriage Building

Post by Willard »

Not sure what you're actually talking about but I'll look into it and get back to you. Sounds cool none the less!
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

What it is ---is the Old Welch Baby Cariage building
If I am right and I think I am it was built by the Welch(it could be Welsh) family a long long long time ago
it is a huge building and it is right next to the Soulard Market I dont know street names
This was the company that made thoes Big Wheel baby cariages that you can still get on ebay
anyway it has several floors and like I said it was the home of the Darkness Haunted House for the last several years I think it was for sale by the Dolan Company any way it would have been a great place to explore but since the are redoing it maybe not but just think of all the memories and probaly the stuff that is still there...............
Sleep is a waste of time,you can sleep when you are dead
Ordog
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Ordog »

There was quite an article about it, several pages I think, in the St Louis Post Dispatch a few years ago... it would be worth your while to check that out at the Library Center. Also, since that is some sort of enterprise zone, I would imagine you'll find other articles about it too as people lie cheat and scheme aroound what to do with it.

Last I heard it was not only a haunted house, but they designed haunted houses or something like that. I think there is some kind of weirdness, too although I don't recall what exactly.