Weldon Spring wildlife area

Urban exploration in St. Louis, Missouri
Jamesw
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Re: Weldon Spring wildlife area

Post by Jamesw »

Justin I posted in our thread on STLSR. We were about 200 yards away from it today. Very easy to get to once you know where you are going.
-2008 St.Mary's Championship longest drive winner-
White Rabbit wrote:Funniest part: I actually had to stand up on my tippy-toes to remove myself from the pipe..
96hatchkid
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: Weldon Spring wildlife area

Post by 96hatchkid »

I was looking at stuff on MSN LIVE and I thought I saw a way to get in. but I'll check the STLSR thread.
rnanfito
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by rnanfito »

This is an old post, but I'm new to the area and definitely want to check out the water reservoir. I walked right past it yesterday (not difficult to miss, since it is in the middle of the woods). I was trying to find Mechanical City, but only found a few hydrants in the woods dated 1942. I did an aerial search of the vicinity and found a better photo that clearly shows the round object in the woods (more recent? Autumn?). This thread has now told me what to look for and where - thanks.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 9&t=h&z=18

Also, I think this is the abandoned power plant mentioned previously?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 7&t=h&z=17
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Re: RE: Weldon Spring wildlife area

Post by crazydrummerdude »

rnanfito wrote:Also, I think this is the abandoned power plant mentioned previously?
That's it, but it's completely empty inside,

and on us army property.

Enter at your own risk.
Mandi Milenko
Miz Mayhem
Miz Mayhem

Post by Mandi Milenko »

Here I go again bringing up an old topic but better then starting a new one...

I was cruising around google earth looking for places to check out and I noticed a whole lot of old buildings and other oddities in this area. They are pretty close to the army base thingy though, but still in the woods so they may be accessible if you're careful. Really careful. Anyway, all of the question marks are old stuff that I found. It helps a lot if you change the historic slider thingy back to 2002, because the woods are then and stuff is easy to see... I'm still looking so I am sure I will find more. Happy hunting!

Awesome pics b.t.w.... Looked risky!!! Which one was it of? The one with all the drain looking thingies close to the army base, or the one closer to 94, near a parking lot of some sort?

SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

Your last 2 pics are the former Uranium Processing Plant which assayed "Yellow Cake" (Uranium Ore Concentrate). The Uranium Processed here was ultimately used in nuclear weapons and nuclear fuels in support of the Manhattan Project. It shut down in 1966 and remained abandoned until it was torn down in 1994.

I discussed it here, as it related to the nearby Equadome. The "Equadome" was an Ordnance Works project which manufactured Dynamite and other munitions, torn down in 1998. Two separate sites with two different jobs, often confused as being the same place; neither exist anymore.

I've also been looking into the buildings left out there lately as well...
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

I just got back from there and found a whole bunch of stuff in the woods. Pics forthcoming.

I walked exactly 2,000 paces from the car down the trail to the area of fence that allowed access. Once across, it's a shitty, tedious hike through thick woods (owned by the National Guard who operates a training facility at this location) full of poison ivy, spider webs, stinging nettle, sticker bushes and ticks.

If you like hiking through the woods to find old overgrown buildings, this is a good place to do it, but I recommend doing so in the fall when it's not so hot and there isn't so much plant growth. But it's worth a return trip, for sure.

I found numerous foundations and odd structures in the woods and I was about to give up when I saw this freaking massive hulk of a building looming directly ahead. I couldn't see it til I was right next to it due to all the trees and whatnot. The building was massive. and there's more out there, just watch out for the military, police, etc. :wink:
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

Pics are uploaded.

What I found was a Powerplant building and some random foundations just South-East of it in the wooded area, different than what crazydrummerdude explored.
Mandi Milenko
Miz Mayhem
Miz Mayhem

Post by Mandi Milenko »

Great pics! However, If you start growing another head on your shoulder or something please let us know so we can avoid that situation......
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

Thanks! If I grow another head I'll let ya know.

I was counting my paces and following the Weldon Spring map and a google map I printed out. So I know for a fact that I was in the building in this link as well as the woods all around it, to the South and East. I haven't determined which one crazydrummerdude was in, but I think it's the other one you posted an aerial view of.
rnanfito wrote:Also, I think this is the abandoned power plant mentioned previously?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 7&t=h&z=17
peterbillionaire
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by peterbillionaire »

SubLunar wrote:Pics are uploaded.
Where?
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

peterbillionaire
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by peterbillionaire »

nice pics and blog!
shigno
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Weldon springs Wildlife -Water Reservoir and pump house

Post by shigno »

Was out in Weldon Springs last weekend, found the Water Reservoir and pump house still standing. Hope to upload photos soon
Whitepanther
400+ Poster
400+ Poster

Post by Whitepanther »

Nice job Shigno. Highly recommend checking out the interpretive center in front of that crazy rock mound if you haven’t already. Aerial posters are in there from 1938 before the town’s of Howell, Hamburg, and Toonerville were displaced. Eminent domain hadn’t really been invented yet as we know it today in that era. Those folks were only given 24 hrs notice to get gone. There was no settlement check for taking their property either. The day afterwards the gov burned every standing structure to the ground so they’d never return. Crazy!