Weldon Spring wildlife area

Urban exploration in St. Louis, Missouri
Chris
King of the Man Bugs!
King of the Man Bugs!

Re: Weldon Spring wildlife area

Post by Chris »

And at the levels any explorer would be exposed to it, asbestos is less than a non-issue as well.

And don't even get me started on lead....
lindsayk
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: Weldon Spring wildlife area

Post by lindsayk »

the only kind of radiation you're going to find out there is alpha radiation, which won't make it through the top layer of your skin. it's only a problem if you ingest the source of radiation.

from what i remember, the uranium feed materials plant wasn't even built until the mid 50's, after the atomic energy commission replaced the manhattan project in 1946. i'm pretty sure only TNT and DNT were produced at WSOW during WWII.

i went to high school at howell, and maybe it was just a marching band thing, but we always sang an edited version of our school song. "are you from howell, are you from howell? do you drink the water, do you glow in the dark?..." i don't even know what the original lyrics are.
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Post by crazydrummerdude »

Chris wrote:And don't even get me started on lead....
My brother and I go to tire shops and get their wheel weights. We then melt them down into ingets, and cast them into bullets (after adding a little tin and flux). Not really practical or efficient, but it is cool.
Chris
King of the Man Bugs!
King of the Man Bugs!

Post by Chris »

Cool!

I've been wanting to get into reloading for awile now. I was given an old RCBS press and I picked up a couple of manuals, but I haven't really gotten into it yet. I'd probably get into casting eventually, but I need to get to the basics first.

If you don't mind my asking, what do you load for?
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Right now, we reload anything. Several gagues of shotguns and many differnet calibers.

The bullets that we've casted are 22s and 30 cals.

We've got a bunch of RCBS stuff.
bobcat
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by bobcat »

Repeatedly walking over Pb paint chips on the ground---not a big deal.

Repeatedly inhaling Pb oxide fumes---bad idea.

i'd get a respirator, they're pretty cheap.
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Exactly.
redox
aka Sawney Bean
aka Sawney Bean

Post by redox »

Chris wrote:And at the levels any explorer would be exposed to it, asbestos is less than a non-issue as well.
Ahem...not true

As for weldon springs being radioactive, I think what the military was doing out there, was was indeed involved with the Manhattan Project, but also I read they were developing shells with depleated uranium projectiles, and dangerous isotopes did get into the aquifer from what I've read. Bet there was likely some unaccounted for dumping too. I fo-sho wouldn't be prying opened any weird drums or messing around with old ordinance; but I myself am not too worried about exploring the place for a few hours. Though I will be waiting for an extra arm or leg to sprout out of my back.
redox
aka Sawney Bean
aka Sawney Bean

Re: RE: Weldon Spring wildlife area

Post by redox »

bobcat wrote:Repeatedly walking over Pb paint chips on the ground---not a big deal.

Repeatedly inhaling Pb oxide fumes---bad idea.

i'd get a respirator, they're pretty cheap.
Better get the kind that mediate organic vapors.
Chris
King of the Man Bugs!
King of the Man Bugs!

Post by Chris »

I don't feel that being in an area where non-airborne asbestos is present a few weekends a year will be in any way detrimental to your health. It's not like you're scraping up asbestos floor tiles or tearing off asbestos pipe insulation after all.

'Course, I've never worked in a shipyard, either, so....
redox
aka Sawney Bean
aka Sawney Bean

Post by redox »

Chris wrote:I don't feel that being in an area where non-airborne asbestos is present a few weekends a year will be in any way detrimental to your health. It's not like you're scraping up asbestos floor tiles or tearing off asbestos pipe insulation after all.

Yeah having worked in the shipyards for so long, I've been briefed on this shit a bunch. Thing about asbestos is, you're playing a game of russian roulette. Mesothelioma can occur as a relult of just one fucking tiny fiber of asbestos working its way through the tissues of your lung and lodging in the outer membranes. After a while, you find out you have advanced inoperative cancer. You see, mesothelioma is a form of lung cancer that grows to conform to the contours of the outside of your lung, and usually doesn't cause discomfort. It is often missed by CAT scans infact . By the time you get a diagnosis it's too late. You can't equate asbestos exposure it to smoking cigarettes or radiation.
Chris
King of the Man Bugs!
King of the Man Bugs!

Post by Chris »

Gotcha, and thanks for the info... :!:
memory_machine
Resident Douchebag
Resident Douchebag

Post by memory_machine »

On a brighter note, radiation is just the opposite! Happy Day!!! :D
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Re: RE: Weldon Spring wildlife area

redox wrote:
Chris wrote:I don't feel that being in an area where non-airborne asbestos is present a few weekends a year will be in any way detrimental to your health. It's not like you're scraping up asbestos floor tiles or tearing off asbestos pipe insulation after all.

Yeah having worked in the shipyards for so long, I've been briefed on this shit a bunch. Thing about asbestos is, you're playing a game of russian roulette. Mesothelioma can occur as a relult of just one fucking tiny fiber of asbestos working its way through the tissues of your lung and lodging in the outer membranes. After a while, you find out you have advanced inoperative cancer. You see, mesothelioma is a form of lung cancer that grows to conform to the contours of the outside of your lung, and usually doesn't cause discomfort. It is often missed by CAT scans infact . By the time you get a diagnosis it's too late. You can't equate asbestos exposure it to smoking cigarettes or radiation.
Now I think I'm dying.
96hatchkid
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by 96hatchkid »

How the hell exactly do I get to the power plant? If you guys don't wnat to post up directions from St. Charles PM it to me. Thanks.

Justin